Chapter 21: The Cherry Blossom Tree

Dal mi's POV

"Answer, please. Answer me. Please. Please. Please." I beg as I call Ji pyeong for the tenth time. I need to find him.

But before I do, there is one thing I need to make sure of.

~

"Halmeoni!" I exclaim as I dash through the rain towards her corn dog cart.

"Oh my gosh! What are you doing here?" Halmeoni looks at me in bewilderment. "You're all drenched! Come in!" She beckons me in.

"No Halmeoni, I need to find someone. But first, Halmeoni, tell me." I am breathless. Excitement wells up in my stomach.

"Tell me," I take a deep breath. "Halmeoni, the Do san who wrote to me fifteen years ago. It's Han Ji Pyeong, isn't it?"

Halmeoni's expression is enough to tell me that I have uncovered the truth. I'm beyond overjoyed.

"How did you know?" Halmeoni gasps.

"Many things." I say. "His handwriting, his birthday. I even saw you eating with him that day when he carried me home."

"Oh?" Halmeoni says.

"I woke up and climbed out of bed to find you. And then I saw Ji Pyeong and you eating together, talking about the old times." I say with a smile plastered across my face.

"Even the way he is. It's who he is. He has the same warmth and kindness as the one who wrote those letters. It was him. It was Ji pyeong all along." I say.

"Dal mi, I'm sorry I lied to you..." Halmeoni starts. I shake my head and hug her tightly.

"It's okay Halmeoni. It really is. But now I need to find him." I say.

"Find him? He's on the way to Seonju now." Halmeoni says.

"What? Why?" I gasp.

"He went to retrieve your final letter. He's looking for you. He's at the cherry tree in front of the old corn dog house." Halmeoni's words are music to my ears.

"He's looking for me?" I gasp. The words taste so sweet. Just the thought of him alone is enough to make my heart stir. I yearn so deeply for him.

"Halmeoni, I need to go." I say and wave goodbye as I sprint off.

Ji pyeong, stay there. I'm coming.

Ji Pyeong's POV

I stand there, reading the words of Dal mi's letter. I soak in every single word

"... Now, I want to believe that you exist, Do san. I miss you. So it's time for me to find you" Her letter reads.

I look up and almost drop the letter in shock. Dal mi stands before me. An aura of beauty and brilliance surrounds her. I cannot peel my eyes away from her. The world stops as she walks towards me. Her eyes are full of warmth.

"Dal mi..." I say. A tear flows down her eyes.

"It was you." She says. "It was you, wasn't it?" She whispers. Her voice shakes.

"How did you... how did you know?" I ask.

"Of course I would figure it out. Did you really think I wouldn't figure it out?" Dal mi's eyes shine with tears.

"Dal mi, I-" I start to apologise.

Dal mi wraps her arms around me.
"I'm sorry." She cries. "I'm sorry it took me so long to recognise you."

I wrap my arms around her and rest in her embrace. Relief washes over me as I hold her in my arms. I hold the girl I love in my arms.

"I'm sorry I didn't recognise you." Dal mi continues to cry. It stirs my heart.

"No, don't say that." I say as I pull away to face her. Our faces are only a few centimeters apart.

"I'm sorry I didn't come find you sooner." I whisper.

"I like you." The confession rolls out of Dal mi's tongue. "I miss you so much. I've missed you so much." My heart is full of life, as if it has finally found the missing piece and now I'm whole again. Every inch of my being is drawn towards her. Finally. Finally, I have her in my arms, after so much wrestling and confusion.

I hold her face in my hands and bring my lips to hers. Her arms encircle around my waist. I never knew I could feel this way before- Feel so much care and affection for someone. Dal mi presses her lips against mine and I kiss her back.

"I like you too." I say when I draw away. Her eyes shine. "I'm sorry, I took so long to find you. I've missed you so much." I whisper. Dal mi smiles at me.

As the golden rays peek through the clouds, I press my lips against Dal mi's lips. Our hearts have been reaching for each other, straining for each other. 

And now, finally, at last, we have found each other.