Chapter 41: My Plan A

Dal mi's POV

"Hold still, this will hurt a bit." I say as I help Ji pyeong dab antiseptic on his wounds. After a heart wrenching episode of crying, Halmeoni ferried us back to the house where she fed us with chamomile tea and soothed every grief in our hearts.

"Ah!" Ji pyeong jerks slightly at the touch of his wound.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I was as gentle as I could be." I say, blowing lightly at his wounds. I feel a deep ache in my chest.

"Where's Halmeoni?" Ji pyeong asks me.

"She's asleep. It takes a lot of energy to take care of two big crying babies." I joke softly and Ji pyeong gives me a small smile.

"Do san got you good..." I sigh as I carefully paste a plaster over Ji pyeong's wounds. "Does it hurt a lot?" I ask. Ji pyeong shakes his head.

"Are you okay?" I ask again. There are too many emotions tonight. I've been an overload - a gross mess of harsh, choking feelings. I can't think straight or breathe properly.

Ji pyeong responds by holding my hand.

We have both cried ourselves dry. Even as our hearts throb in pain, there are no more tears left to cry.

"Dal mi ah," He starts. I know that tone. He's about to say something serious.

"What is it?" I ask him, brushing his fringe away from his face.

"I will help Halmeoni open a corn dog shop. I want to do that for her." Ji pyeong whispers. "Will you let me do that for her?" He asks.

"Only if you let me help as well." I whisper back. Ji pyeong nods. His hand brushes my cheek.

"Are you okay?" Ji pyeong asks gently. I lower my hand from his hair and place it over the part of his chest where his heart beats. I feel the stable beating of his heart and it seems to calm me down.

"I'll only be sad just for today. Just for today, I'll be sad." I reply.

"Okay. Cry as much as you want. I'll be right here." Ji pyeong whispers.

"Ji pyeong ah?" I start.

"Yes?" He replies softly.

"I... I'm too scared to sleep alone tonight..." I try to stop my voice from trembling. "Will you... will you stay with me tonight?" I ask.

Ji Pyeong's POV

Dal mi nestles comfortably in my arms with the blanket wrapped around us. She leans in closer to me, trying to find refuge under my wings and stability in the rhythmic beating of my heart.

"Today has been a long day for you..." I whisper, resting my cheek against her head in the bed. "Close your eyes. Don't think of anything. Just close your eyes and rest." I coax her.

Dal mi peers up at me with thoughtful eyes.

"Don't be afraid." I tell her assuringly. "I'm always here with you." I promise. "You know, I can prepare a job for you in SH Venture and you can develop your skills-" I start.

Dal mi shakes her head.

"I have another plan." She says.

"Oh? What is it?" I ask her.

Dal mi snuggles in my arms.

"I'm going to apply for In Jae company." Dal mi says determinedly.

"Oh?" I ask, shocked by her response. "In jae?" I ask, wondering whether I misheard her.

"Yes. In jae company. I want to work with my sister." Dal mi says.

"Why? Aren't you angry about what she said about you?" I ask her. Dal mi pauses for a moment before she replies. She shakes her head.

"I'm not mad. I'm not mad at In jae." Dal mi explains. I stroke her hair lightly. "In jae... In jae hasn't received love for a very long time. She hasn't received love so she can't return it to others." Dal mi says thoughtfully. "So even though she said those hurtful things about me," Dal mi peers up at me and smiles. "I know that deep down inside, she's the same small girl who desires for affection and love. She's not a bad person."

I draw Dal mi closer into my arms.

"Are you sure about working at her company?" I ask, feeling a protective instinct towards Dal mi. Dal mi touches my chest lightly. She feels my heart beating again.

"Yes. I'm sure." She smiles.

"You'll always have a Plan B. I'll be your Plan B if anything happens." I reassure her. Dal mi smiles at me and presses her cheek against my chest.

"No, you're my Plan A. You'll always be my Plan A. You are my first priority. The first in my life." Dal mi says sweetly.

"Thank you." I whisper as I kiss Dal mi softly on the forehead.

"For what?" I can feel Dal mi smile.

"For letting me take the first spot in your heart. I am honoured." I whisper and hold the precious gem in my arms, never letting go.