Chapter 36: Against Time

Do San's POV

It's the morning of our contract signing with 2STO. Sa ha gives Dal mi and I a ride, and for the first ten minutes of the journey, we sit in complete silence. Sa ha glances at Dal mi every once in a while, as if checking on her. I look at her reflection in the mirror. She's definitely better compared to the crying girl we saw in the office. There's a calmness in her expression. But her usual glow has started to dwindle.

"Thank you for the ride Sa ha." Dal mi says as we alight from the car.

"Anytime." Sa ha says and gives a small encouraging smile before she drives off.

"Dal mi, are you feeling okay?" I ask her before we step into the building. We pause, standing at the entrance of the building where we will sign a document that will vastly change the course of the next three years of our lives.

Dal mi looks at me. She doesn't look like she's wavering anymore. She appears more secure and focused. But a hint of doubt flickers in her eyes every once in a while, as if something is calling her back.

"I'm okay." She smiles at me and says confidently. "I never regret my choices." Dal mi says, sounding as if she's trying to convince herself.

"I'm okay Do san, really." She says again to reassure me.

"I'm glad you're okay." I reply and give her a high-five. "Shall we go?" I ask her. Dal mi peers up at the huge, tall, shining building before us.

"Yes. Let's go." She says determinedly.

Ji Pyeong's POV

"Good morning." I greet as I step into the office.

"Good morning Mr Han!" Dong cheon says in a particularly chirpy voice. "Here this is for you!" He says happily as he gives me a cup of coffee.

"You seem very happy today." I say.

"I'm congratulating you on what a good sherpa you have been, Mr Han!" Dong cheon says and gives me a big thumbs up.

"What?" I ask him.

"Samsan Tech is signing an acquisition deal with 2STO today." Dong cheon says. "Aren't you proud of them as their mentor?" Dong cheon says with his usual grin.

"Did you say acquisition?" I ask, feeling my ears flare up as they hear this keyword. I must be hearing things. I must have heard Dong cheon wrongly. "What did you say again?" I ask.

"Samsan Tech is signing an acquisition agreement! Aren't you happy?" Dong cheon says, still obliviously excited.

"Acquisition? Not an investment?" I clarify.

"Yes, you heard me right." Dong cheon says again.

"What?" I exclaim. My brain goes into a mad rush. I don't have time to think. Or breathe. Before Dong cheon can ask me what's wrong, I dash out of the office.

Yong san's POV

We look up simultaneously as Mr Han barges into the office, panting furiously. The sight of him is enough to set a fire ablaze in my mind. My brother's face flutters across my mind. Each image is a painful torment. I feel my glare on Mr Han grow hard as his eyes scan the office.

"What are you doing here?" I spit the words out a bit too harshly.

"Where is Dal - I mean, where is Ms Seo?" Mr Han asks us.

"She went with Do san to 2STO's office to sign the contract." Chul san replies politely.

"What's going on?" Sa ha asks me.

"Do you have a copy of the contract? Can I see it?" Mr Han asks frantically.

Mr Han sits at the table, flipping through the contract furiously. As he gets deeper into it, the troubled expression digs deeper and deeper into his expression.

I glance over at Chul san and Chul san shrugs at me. The three of us - Chul san, Sa ha and I- look at Mr Han and the popping vein in his forehead. The anticipation seems to drag on for an eternity.

"Why do you look so worried?" Chul san finally asks.

"Is there something wrong with the contract?" I ask Mr Han.

"There's nothing wrong with it..." Mr Han's voice trails off.

"What?" Sa ha asks, not catching on to Mr Han's train of thought either.

"There's nothing wrong with it." Mr Han says. He pauses and wears a deep frown. "Which is why we need to stop the meeting." He says and yanks out his phone to call Dal mi.

For a long time, I've been holding myself back, trying to keep a professional front before Mr Han. But this is the last straw.

I jerk his phone out of his grasp and throw it to the ground.

"Why would you stop the meeting?" I hiss at him.

Mr Han looks at me in shock.

"Why would they pay three billion to an unprofitable start up?" Mr Han doesn't beat around the bush and directly voices out his suspicions. His voice rubs salt onto my wounds. "There must be something they're hiding. An ulterior motive. 2STO is not a charity organisation." He says.

"I think YOU are the one with the ulterior motive." I glare at him as I kick his phone and send it flying to the other end of the room. "You just want Ms Seo to stay here in Korea with you, don't you?" I accuse him. Mr Han looks stunned.

"What?" He coughs out the word in bewilderment.

"I always knew you were a selfish man." I spit out the words, feeling free that now I can finally say what I've always wanted to say. He's no longer my mentor. He's no longer Samsan Tech's mentor. We don't need him anymore. Finally, I can say everything that's been on my chest.

"But I didn't know that you were so selfish that you would jeopardize Samsan Tech's future just to keep a girl around. Are you sure you even love her? This is not love, Mr Han. You can't call it love if you hold her back." I mock.

My words evidently have an effect on Mr Han.

Mr Han's expression grows hard and he looks like he has to restrain himself from grabbing my collar.

"Look," He starts but I cut him off.

"Is this how you treated my brother?" I demand, feeling the frustration and fury engulf me like a wild forest fire.

"Your brother? What happened to your brother?" Sa ha asks. She and Chul san share the same blank look.

"I'm not doing this because of Dal mi." Mr Han's voice crescendos. "They're not investing. They're acqhiring!" He almost yells.

"What is acqhiring?" Chul san asks.

"They're not actually looking to invest! They're recruiting engineers. Samsan Tech could get disbanded!" Mr Han says with rising frustration

Ji Pyeong's POV

"Answer me. Answer me. Please. Please. Answer me." I say desperately as I try to call Dal mi for the forty fifth time. She remains inaccessible. "Aish!" I sigh in frustration as I step on the accelerator and rush towards 2STO.

I dash through the lobby and press the lift buttons repeatedly. The journey up to the officer is agonizingly long. Anticipation burns in my chest. I hear the clock taunt me as time ticks by. But it's soon put out as the door lifts open. Standing before me are Dal mi and Do san. 

And in their hands, they hold signed contracts.