Chapter 9: Love in the Air

Do san's POV

"Ah, all these couples really make my eyes hurt." Chul san says with great annoyance as he looks at the couples that surround us. The three of us sit at the big stairs like three losers in the sea of lovers. I rest my head on Chul san's leg and close my eyes. I can't take another look at the romance around me. Not when mine is in shambles and wrapped in lies.

"Look at him..." Chul san says in disapproval as the guy seated in front of us hands his jacket to his girlfriend. "He must have the body temperature of forty degrees." Chul san says angrily.

"Everyone has the same body temperature..." Yong san replies. He sounds completely resigned to his fate of singless.

"Why do men even do these sort of things? Aren't they cold!" Chul san exclaims.

The girl reaches out to kiss her boyfriend on the cheek.

Chul san and Yong san wear the same envious look. They look at each other hopelessly.

"I now see why guys give their jackets to their girlfriends..." Chul san says quietly and Yong san agrees.

"Do san ah," Chul san says. "You are our only hope. Make sure you wear an extra jacket to give Dal mi." Chul san says and pats me on the shoulder.
"There's no point..." I sigh.

"What?" Chul san and Yong san say simultaneously.

"What do you mean there's no point?" Yong san asks. "Do san, stop sleeping. Wake up and tell us what you mean!" Yong san as he forces me up to an upright position. I look at them with sleepy eyes.

"It's nothing..." I say.
"Just tell us!' Chul san almost screams at me.

"It's just that..." I say. "Nevermind."

Chul san and Yong san look like they want to punch me.

"Nam Do san. Tell us now." They demand. I rub my neck uncomfortably.

"It's just that... Well, you know, I tried to kiss Dal mi..." I say slowly. Chun san and Yong san's eyes are wide with anticipation. "I tried to kiss her... but she covered my lips when I tried to..." I sigh.

Chun san and Yong san look at me, dumbfounded. The three of us are completely baffled by love and all its confusing ways.

"It's not just that," The words spill out of me, like a long-hidden secret that I've wanted so badly to release for a long time. "Our relationship is filled with lies. She thinks I'm the one who sent her those letters fifteen years ago. I tried to be that Do san. I tried to be the Do san in the letters. But I realise... I can never be that person that she longs for." My mind drifts to Han Ji pyeong.

He's the one she's looking for.

Chun san and Yong san look at each other. They're waiting for the other one to say something.

"Aish, you won't get it." I say as I push their heads down. "Come on," I say, standing up. "We have work to do. Noon Gil is not going to build itself."

~

As we work on Noon Gil, there's a stark awkwardness between Dal mi and I. Chun san and Yong san shift awkwardly in their chairs when Dal mi and I interact. Even Sa ha seems to have caught on to this.

So I'm grateful when Dal mi leaves to visit potential investors. I feel more peaceful.

"I'm exhausted..." Yong san sighs as he looks up from his computer screen. We've been coding for several days and nights already.

"Well, I'll be heading home." Sa ha says as she gets up. Each time she gets up, her hair flies in the wind and it leaves Chul san with a stupid grin on his face.

"Yes, you need your beauty sleep. Have a safe ride home." Chul san waves goodbye enthusiastically. Sa ha makes a face before strutting out.

"Wipe that dumb smile off your face." I tell Chul san when Sa ha is out of sight.