Chapter 4: Blue Lights

Do san's POV

"What is this?" I ask Cheon ho, looking at the ball balancing on my finger. Cheon ho has suddenly showed up at our office, announcing that he has an exciting product for us.

"It's called ET, an emotion transistor. It's a device that expresses your emotions." Cheon ho says proudly. "Blue means you're excited. When you're lying, you'll see red." Cheon ho explains. "And if you're indifferent, the light will turn off."

"Are you sure this will do it?" Sa ha scoffs. She looks around and casually places her hand on Chul san's hand. Immediately, Chul san looks like the heavens are opened. The ball on his finger radiates the brightest, purest shade of blue.

What an idiot. I laugh to myself as I watch Chul san look at Sa ha with dreamy eyes.

"Chul san, wipe the drool off your mouth." I say.

Sa ha looks at me with foxy eyes.

"Maybe you can't resist my charm either." She says proudly. Her hand goes on my hand.

I look at her.

What are you doing?

My ball remains colourless. And my face remains expressionless as well.

"Well, I guess it works." Sa ha says scornfully.

"... one of them will become huge, like google." Cheon ho says excitedly. Immediately, the ball on his finger lights up. "Oh my, just the thought gets me excited." Cheon Ho.

Dal mi wears a blank expression so it's surprising when her ball lights up to a brilliant blue too.

"What are you thinking about?" Sa ha stares at her blue ball as Dal mi covers it consciously. "Samsan Tech becoming like Google?" Sa ha laughs as if it's ridiculous.

But as if it were a magical effect, all the balls on our fingers instantly light up one by one.

"Wah, Cheon Ho, this is very effective in making decisions." I tell Cheon ho, conveying my silent thanks for these devices.

I look towards Dal mi and suddenly I am curious: If I held her hand... would her heart flutter?

Would her light turn blue?

"Alright, let's start our discussions." Dal mi sweeps her files up too quickly that it takes away the chance for me to reach out and test out these emotion transistors; to test out her feelings for me.

I look at my hands... At least she likes my hands. That's one piece of hope that I can hold on to for now.

~

Our discussions drag on for long hours and before we know it, a dark navy blue veil has sealed the sky and it splattered with handfuls of stars.

Chul san starts to yawn sleepily as Yong san gives his suggestion. Sa ha on the other end... seems to be doing perfectly fine. The ball on her finger lights up with a cheerful blue colour as she adores Yong san with his cute glasses on.

I yawn sleepily as well, trying to keep the sleep out of my eyes.

"Okay, everyone. I think we should take a short break okay? We'll come back again in an hour's time." Dal mi announces as she senses the heavy atmosphere of dreariness and fatigue. The rest nod and start to disperse.

This is my chance. My chance to test the emotion transistors... to test Dal mi's true feelings towards me.

"Dal mi," I say. I hold out my hand and place it on her finger.

"What?" She looks at me, puzzled.

The ball on my finger lights up blue. But the ball on her finger remains colourless. I can't tear my eyes away from the scene before my eyes.

'What?" Dal mi suddenly says when she realises what I am trying to do.

She taps her finger against mine, testing the emotion transistors again.

The results remain the same. Mine shines a brilliant blue. While the ball on Dal mi's finger remains a lifeless, colourless shade.

Dal mi pauses and stares at the stark contrast in colour, as if she cannot believe it. Her eyes grow wider. It's as if the world has stopped turning as a revelation descends on the both of us.

Dal mi quickly pulls her hand away from mine and pats down the messy strands of hair that flown out from her bun.

"It's because I'm tired." She explains quickly. She flashes me a quick smile and pulls the emotion transistors off our fingers. "I think these need some charging." She mutters.

"Wow, I really am tired." Dal mi says in an awkward voice and gets up to stretch. "I need better go charge these..." She says and hurries out the door.

"... But those don't come with a charging function..." I say quietly as I watch the door close behind her.