It's Time

Jade's POV:

While Alonzo and my father were tending to a fence post, Arabella was with her grandparents. I was mucking the stalls in the stable when a strong pain began to radiate from my abdomen. I dropped the rake and clung to the wall as a result.

"Jade, Jade, are you there?" As he rushed over to check on me, Dylan called.

As a result of the anguish, I was forced to my knees and hands. Dylan attempted to assist me in getting up, but I shook my head. I tried to calm down by controlling my breathing, but the discomfort persisted. 

"Go get Alonzo, Dylan!" I let out a shriek.

"All right, all right," he said. "What would you like me to tell him?"

"Tell him to call the doctor! The baby is coming and something is wrong!" I sobbed.

Dylan dashed out of the barn without pausing for a second.

I lay on my back and stared up at the ceiling while waiting for my husband and Dylan to return. My pregnant belly emitted a sharp agony that compelled me to touch it with my hand. After a few moments of waiting, Alonzo dashed over to me, trailed by my father.

"Jade, what's wrong?" he enquired, clutching my hand.

"Did you call the doctor?" I inquired.

He nodded, "Dylan went to call her."

"Good, because the baby is on the way, and I have a feeling something is wrong!" I screamed.

"An ambulance is needed right now!" My father came in and interrupted me.

Alonzo replied, "It won't make it in time. Her contractions are becoming more frequent."

Alonzo lowered his gaze to me and smoothed my hair out of my face. I was hot and in excruciating discomfort. I began to be concerned. 

Alonzo yelled at my father, "Run back to the house and tell my mother to bring towels and blankets out. I'm going to have to phone the vet."

"The vet?" My father screamed. "What will the vet do?"

Alonzo answered, "Deliver this baby."

While Alonzo contacted the vet, my father went off in search of blankets and towels. He explained the problem to the veterinarian, who agreed to come out and assist him. Alonzo crouched next to me once he hung up the phone.

He explained, "The vet will be here in a few minutes."

I snarled, "I can't believe you're going to have the vet deliver our baby."

"It's our only option," Alonzo explained. "No, let's get you out of those jeans," says the narrator.

I went into the tack area and snatched up a few saddle pads, which I spread out on the ground. Just as my mother arrived with towels and blankets, I assisted Jade onto them.

"Thank you, mom," I said as I handed her the blankets and placed the towels at Jade's feet.

Before covering Jade with a blanket, I removed her jeans. Then I carefully yanked her jeans and panties off and laid them aside.

"Arabella," I exclaimed.

"I've got her sweetheart," Alonzo's mother told me. "She's with her grandpa right now."

The vet and Dylan arrived at the same time. Before heading over to inspect the problem, he cleansed his hands and put on some gloves. He glanced behind the blanket to see how dilated I was.

"All right, Jade," said the vet. "You're dilated by ten centimeters, but something doesn't seem right."

Alonzo dashed over to my side to take my hand. The veterinarian placed his left hand on top of my stomach and began feeling around. The vet explained, "It appears like your baby isn't facing the right way, therefore I'll have to flip the baby around."

"What?!" I screamed.

He said, "I've got to do it."

Alonzo took my hand in his and gripped it tightly. The vet reached inside of me with his right hand and began turning the baby in the proper position. I couldn't help but scream because it was so awful.

The vet explained, "Alright, take a few minutes before we start having you push."

Before scooting up to me, Alonzo sat behind me and splayed his legs apart. My back was crushed against his chest, and my arms were propped up on his legs as if I were sitting in a chair. 

"You can do this," he whispered as he kissed the back of my head.

"I know I can," I responded, my voice trembling. "However, if you manage to make me pregnant again, I'm going to cut off your balls!"

"It's quite normal for pregnant women to feel this way," the vet reassured.

Alonzo and I finally met our beautiful girl after a lengthy and traumatic birth. The vet carefully placed her on my chest, covered in a blanket. I leaned on Alonzo, trying to relax after the birth. Alonzo laid a gentle touch on our newborn girl's back and stared at her. I lowered my gaze to her. She is teeny-tiny and exquisite in every way. Alonzo kissed my cheek after kissing the back of my head.

"I love you so much!" Alonzo muttered. 

The vet grinned and said, "Congratulations, you two."

"Thank you," I expressed my gratitude.