Last Ride

Alonzo's POV:

I remained with Jade outside the arena gate, as we waited for her turn to race. She sat in her saddle, trying to relax, while she gripped her reins tight. The competition was definitely fierce. The times are so close together which only made Jade squeeze the reigns tighter than she had originally.

"Don't worry, Jade," I said, as I looked up at her. "You'll have a great run."

Jade smiled down at me and slightly nodded her head.

"Alrighty folks, our final runner is very famous in the barrel racing world." the announcer began. "She is already a two time World Barrel Racing Champion and now she is back for another chance to take the championship. Not only is she an amazing barrel racer but her husband, Alonzo Travis is a qualifier for the World Bull Riding Championship as well. Now, are you ready to see her ride?"

Jade and I could hear the crowd scream, cheer, and yell as loud as they could.

"Well here she is, Mrs. Jade Travis!" he announced.

The arena gate opened and Diablo started to move his head, showing that he was ready to run, but Jade held him back anyway. She took several deep breaths, as she tried to calm herself down. I gently placed my hand on top of her thigh and looked up at her, while she looked down in my direction.

"Before you go, I want to tell you something. I know that this is your last run for a while, but I do want you to be careful because you can't just think about yourself anymore." I began. "But, I also want to tell you to ride hard and bring home the title."

"Thank you, Alonzo." Jade thanked.

I took a few steps back giving Jade and Diablo room. She turned her head straight, gripped the reins as tight as she could, then she stroked Diablo's neck. It wasn't long after that she gave Diablo a gentle tap on the side of his abdomen, giving him the signal to sprint off. The two of them made their way down to the first barrel, then the second, followed by the third, coming into the final sprint down the arena.

Jade quickly pulled the reins back toward her, so that Diablo could start slowing down

Jade quickly pulled the reins back toward her, so that Diablo could start slowing down. Once she got him into a slower pace, I ran over and took Diablo's reins. Jade looked back at the arena, waiting for her score to be presented.

"I don't believe it, folks, Jade Travis has clocked in at 13.53! She has won the race!" the announcer said in excitement. "Jade Travis has won $250,000's."

Jade stood up in her stirrups and put her hands up in the air, as she smiled. I have never seen her so happy before. After the excitement past, she sat back down in her saddle and we went back to the trailer. Once we got there, I tied a slip knot with the reins on the trailer. Jade dismounted Diablo and was so excited that she won, that she gave me a big hug.

Then, she stopped and took a step back.

"I'm sorry." Jade apologized.

"No need," I replied.

A moment of silence fell between us again. Our eyes went back and forth between each other before I said, "Well, bull riding is next so I better get ready."

I started walking off when Jade called my name. I stopped in my tracks and looked back at Jade.

"Good luck, Alonzo. And have a good ride as well."

As I walked back to the arena, I couldn't help but smile. Once I got to the arena, I stood above the small pen that contained a massive bull. The other cowboys that were ahead of me, were gearing up for their eight-second ride. It wasn't long before my turn had arrived.

"Next up is Alonzo Travis!" the announcer said with enthusiasm. "Alonzo Travis is a rancher in his hometown and is an outstanding bull rider in his time. Not only is he good, but y'all remember the barrel racer who won tonight, right? Well, folks that is Alonzo's wife. I guess rodeo is in there blood. But now it is time for the longest eight seconds of his life. Tonight he is riding Malo, a big honking bull that loves to buck. Good luck Alonzo."

I stood over the bull, with my feet on the side fences. I took my time going onto the back of the bull. Once I got on, I made myself comfortable as best as I could and gripped the handle as tight as I could. I took a deep breath and nodded my head. Before I knew it, they opened the gate and the bull started bucking. The timer started and the crowd started to cheer, as I held on tight. Soon enough, my eight seconds ended and one of the cowboys helped me off the bull with his horse.

"Will you look at that ride folks! Alonzo Travis, you have just scored a 99

"Will you look at that ride folks! Alonzo Travis, you have just scored a 99.5!"

I took my cowboy hat off my head and threw it into the air because I was so happy. And in the distance, I saw Jade standing near the shoot clapping for me.

"What a wonderful day for the Travis family. The two champions are taking home a total of $400,000s!" the announcer said. "Congratulations to both of you."