I Won't Leave You

Jade's POV:

I was in the kitchen with Alonzo's mother and father, who were visiting us. Alonzo and Dylan are outside in the arena practicing bull riding. My mother-in-law was kind enough to help me prepare dinner, while my father-in-law cooked the meat on the grill. I was mixing the salad dressing into the salad when I remembered to get the mail. I stopped what I was doing and said, "I will be right back. I just remembered that I have to get the mail."

"Alright dear, be careful on the way there," Barbra said, with a smile on her face. "Rob and I will continue to get dinner ready."

I walked out of the front door and began walking up to our long driveway. Our mailbox was located up by the main road since it was easier for the mailman to deliver our mail. I didn't mind the walk. It is a good exercise for a pregnant lady, such as myself. Besides, it allows me to stretch my legs. 

Once I got to the mailbox, I opened it up and pulled out all the mail that was inside before closing it. I began walking back to the house, as I shuffled through all the mail. We received a few bills, some junk mail, and there was an envelope addressed to Alonzo. When I got back to the house, Dylan was inside with my in-laws. Alonzo and he must have called it a day for training. But, I didn't see Alonzo anywhere so I headed to the bedroom, where I found Alonzo washing his hands for super. 

"There you are," I said, as I walked into the master bathroom. "I have an envelope for you."

Alonzo dried his hands off with a towel. He gave me a quick kiss on the lips before grabbing the envelope from me. He looked at the label before tearing the envelope open. He pulled out the piece of paper and began reading it. 

"What does it say?" I asked. 

"I have been invited to do a rodeo before the new season begins," Alonzo explained. "It starts in a few days. It's another county over."

"That's great!"

"Yeah, I don't think I am going to do it though."

"What!" I exclaimed. "Why not?"

Alonzo placed the piece of paper back in what was left of the envelope. Then, he looked back at me and said, "Because you are seven months pregnant now. There is no way I am going to leave you now."

Alonzo walked out of the bedroom. I followed after him. 

"I am only seven months pregnant! I still have another month to go." I argued. "I am perfectly capable of handling myself while you go to do the rodeo. Besides, it's not that far from here."

Alonzo and I walked into the kitchen where Dylan, Barbra, and Rob were all seated. All three of them were apart of this conversation now. 

"What is going on here?" Barbra asked. 

"Alonzo has been invited to perform in a rodeo," I explained. 

"That is awesome!" Dylan exclaimed with such excitement. 

"But, he won't go." 

"What? Why on earth not?" Rob chimed in.

"Jade is seven months pregnant, I can't leave her now!" Alonzo argued. 

The room fell silent. I guess everyone does think that a seven-month pregnant woman can't take care of herself in this state. I couldn't believe this. How is he going to throw this perfectly good opportunity down the drain? This is insane!

"If you are really worried about Jade, then why don't Rob and I stay with her while you and Dylan go to the rodeo?" Barbra suggested. "We don't mind staying extra."

A smile appeared on my face. "What a lovely idea!"

Alonzo rolled his eyes. He couldn't believe that I found a loophole. But who could argue with his mother? She brought up a solution to our question. 

"What do you think, Alonzo?" I smirked. "Does this solve your question?"

"Alright, alright, I will go." Alonzo gave in. 

"Yes!" Dylan burst with excitement. 

"Great, then it's settled. You and Dylan are going to the rodeo while I stay here with your parents."

I kissed Alonzo on the side of his cheek before walking past him to put the salad bowl at the table. All the food was laid out along with the plates and silverware. We were all ready to start eating, so everyone took their seats at the table. We quickly prayed over our food before digging into the delicious food that was prepared. 

***

Three days later, Dylan and Alonzo were about to hit the road. The trailer was hitched to the truck and their tack was all packed up, along with their clothes. Barbra and I packed a cooler full of snacks for their road trip ahead. Alonzo stood with me on the porch, as our hands were linked together. 

"Are you sure you're going to be alright?" Alonzo asked. 

"Yes, stop worrying already. Your parents are going to be here with me. I'll be fine." I assured. 

"Alright," Alonzo sighed. "I'm gonna miss you."

"I'll miss you too but have a good time," I said, before kissing him on the lips. 

Alonzo smiled down at me. He gently placed his hand on my pregnant belly, so I placed my hand on his. I kissed him once more on the lips before gently pushing him away from me. 

"Get out of here." I teased. 

Alonzo smiled and walked toward his truck. He opened the driver's side door and started the truck. Before I knew it, Dylan and him drove down the driveway and out of sight.