Surprise! And Merry Christmas!

Alonzo's POV:

Jade and I were still fast asleep when we heard a bang, then a crash coming from outside our bedroom door. I immediately lifted my head off my pillow, while Jade pushed herself up. I quickly hopped out of bed and reached in my nightstand for my handgun. I made sure that it was loaded and pointed it down at the ground, while I walked to the door. 

"Alonzo, what are you doing?" Jade whispered.

"Just stay here."

I quietly opened the door and peeked out. I couldn't see anyone around, so I walked out of the bedroom with the gun in my hand. I checked all the rooms I passed but didn't find anyone so I continued on. I hid behind a wall with the gun pointed down. I could hear a faint noise coming from the living room, which was just around the corner. I gathered up the courage I had and popped out from behind the wall, finding my mother with boxes of Christmas decorations. I lowered my gun and shouted, "Mom!"

She was startled by me, so she jumped off the ground a bit. 

"Alonzo, don't scare me like that!" she demanded. "How dare you scare your mother like that!"

"What are you doing in my house? How the hell did you get in? I didn't give you a key."

"I'm getting ready for Christmas, which is in two weeks since you aren't gonna decorate. And to answer your question, no but you did give your father one." my mother replied.

I closed my eyes and looked down at the ground. Just as I did that, I heard footsteps coming from behind me. 

"Hello son." my father greeted. 

I slowly turned around and saw my father, who had the biggest smile on his face. This wasn't happening! 

"You should put that gun away." my father suggested, as he walked over to the couch and sat down. 

I stood in the exact same spot for several minutes, just looking at my parents. My mom kept taking decorations out of the boxes, while my father sat on the couch. It wasn't long before Jade said, "Alonzo, is everything alright."

"Yeah, come here." I motioned. 

My mom stopped what she was doing and my father turned his head in my direction when they heard Jade's voice. Once she came out from behind the wall and over to my side, dressed in her pajamas, my father was surprised. 

"Who is this beautiful young lady?" my father asked, as he stood up from the couch and walked over to shake Jade's hand. 

"Pop this is Jade, my wife." I introduced. 

"It's a pleasure to meet you." my father said, before sitting back down. 

"Mom, you remember Jade, right?" I asked. 

"Of course, how could I forget." my mother said as if she was dragging her nails down a chalkboard. 

A brief moment of silence fell in the room. So Jade said, "I'm gonna go get dressed."

"Okay, would you mind putting this back in the nightstand?" I asked, referring to the handgun. 

Jade took the gun and went back to the bedroom, where she got ready for the day. Leaving me with my two parents. My mother wasn't the happiest and my father was so confused and didn't know anything about the situation going on. 

"Wow, congratulations Alonzo, she's a beautiful girl." my father complimented, breaking the silence between the three of us. 

"Rob!" my mom snapped. 

"Oh come on, Barbra." my father continued. "Why can't you just be happy for Alonzo and accepting of Jade. The two of them are in love."

"Because I don't even know this girl and the two of them elope to get married! And then they didn't even tell me that they are expecting a baby!"

My mom stopped arguing with my father. She continued getting the Christmas decorations out, to distract herself from everything going on. 

"Boy or girl?" my father asked. "How far along too?"

"We wanted to be surprised. She is five months pregnant and is expected to be due in April." I answered. 

My father stood up from the couch and walked over to me. He placed his hand on my shoulder and said, "I'm proud of you, Alonzo. Now, I will go get the tree so your mother can start decorating."

My father left the room, leaving my mother and me alone. I didn't know what to say or do. I had no intention of hurting her feelings. I just thought that it would be better if she didn't know altogether. This is a complicated situation that will be hard for her to process if she knew the truth. So I went back into the bedroom, where Jade was putting on her jewelry. I took a seat at the edge of the bed. I reached back for my shirt and began putting it on. 

"I am so sorry, Jade

"I am so sorry, Jade." I apologized. "I had no idea they were going to be here."

"You don't have to be sorry," Jade assured. "In all honesty, it's nice that they came. They want to spend the holidays with their son. I can't be mad at them for that."

"I know, it's just after what my mom did, I am having a hard time with her," I admitted. 

Jade sat down next to me, on the bed. She turned to me and said, "I get why your mom acted the way she did."

"You do?"

"Yeah, how would you feel if someone was taking your son and not hearing about it? She is probably worried that she is going to be replaced, and she knows that she isn't the only woman in your life anymore. In her eyes, she thinks I have taken you from her. It's a mom thing."

Jade held my hand and squeezed it tight.

"Now, go talk to your mother." Jade encouraged. 

"Can you come with me?" I asked.

"No, this is something you have to deal with."

I nodded my head. I stood up and exited the bedroom, heading back to the living room. When I turned the corner, I saw my parents. They both turned their heads in my direction. 

"I think it's time we talk," I said to my parents.

My parents sat side by side on the couch, while I sat across from them. Before I began, I fiddled with my fingers while I collected my words.

"I want to say that I am sorry." I began. "For not telling you about Jade or being married, but that is my mistake. Jade shouldn't be held accountable for that. Mom, I know you aren't happy about all of this but I need you to stop blaming Jade and just accept what has happened."

"Barbra." my father urged. 

"Mom please," I begged. "I love her and I need you to accept that."

"Alright, alright, I will at least try." mom agreed.

"Barbra, you will do." my father corrected.

"Fine!"