Back in the Saddle

Alonzo's POV:

Jade and I made it to the rodeo grounds late last night. We were both so tired from driving that we ended up sleeping in this morning. It took us forever to get the motivation to get out of bed but when we did, we decided to tack up Diablo so that Jade would be ready for her run. 

We pulled Diablo out of the trailer and began grooming him before tacking him up. I was outside cleaning Diablo's hooves out when Jade went into the trailer and gasped when she saw the surprise that I had for her. 

"Alonzo, what the heck is this?" She asked as she walked out of the trailer holding a brand new black and silver western tack. 

"Is this for me?" She added. 

"It sure is," I replied. "I thought you should have a major comeback and what would be a better way than giving you some eyecatching tack?"

Jade put the saddle on Diablo's back before coming over to me and wrapping her arms around me. She smiled and looked me in the eyes before planting her lips on mine. Her lips were so soft that I never wanted to part with them. 

"Thank you, Alonzo." 

"You're welcome."

Once the horse was tacked up, Jade mounted and rode her horses to the rodeo arena where she waited for her run. I went to an area where I could watch her ride before the bull riding commenced. I saw her walk Diablo while she waited for her run. I could tell that Diablo was fired up for his run. It made me nervous because we don't need any surprises. 

"Next up," the announcer began. "We have Jade Travis! A five-time barrel racing champion who is married to the number one bull rider competitor, Alonzo Travis. The couple has just welcomed their first child and this rodeo is their first time back on the road. So without further or do, ladies and gentlemen, please welcome Jade Travis!"

Jade came riding out hot on Diablo. She turned the first barrel which was a success, followed by the second barrel, and lastly, the third barrel which she barely touched. Then, Diablo sprinted down the arena, making Jade come in with a record time. This put her at the lead. 

"Woo, what a run by Jade Travis

"Woo, what a run by Jade Travis." The announcer vocalized. "Mrs. Travis has just set a record time for this arena today while landing herself at the top of the pyramid."

I ran back to the trailer, to meet back up with Jade, who came trotting over with Diablo. She instantly hopped off her horse and jumped into my arms. 

"I did it!" Jade exclaimed. 

"You did," I kissed. "I told ya that there was nothing to worry about."

I placed her back down on the ground. It brought warmth to my heart when I saw that giant smile on her face. She is the best barrel racer but she is an even better mom and wife. 

"Should we go and celebrate?" Jade hinted. 

"I gotta ride in a few," I replied. 

"What is a few?" Jade asked. 

"Four more events."

"So four events with several runs for each, correct?"

I nodded my head.

"That's plenty of time," Jade smiled as she grabbed my hand and led me into the trailer.