Family Traditions

Jade's POV:

I sat in the living room with Alonzo's mother while Alonzo and his dad went to buy a Christmas tree. I don't know what to say or do, so I sat silently.

"Do you know how to cook?" Mrs. Travis asked.

"Yes but not very well." I admitted.

"Me too." she replied. "What about baking?"

"I love to bake!"

"Well then, why don't you help me with some Christmas cookies while the boys get the tree." Mrs. Travis suggested. 

"Let's do it!" I agreed.

We both stood up and walked into the kitchen. Mrs. Travis grabbed the recipe and set it on the counter. I briefly looked at it, as I began pulling out some of the ingredients. My mother in-law pulled out a glass mixing bowl. We both started to put the ingredients in the bowl, and started to mix them together. Once it was thoroughly mixed, we set several balls of cookie dough onto the pan, before placing it into the oven.  

While the cookies were in the oven, Alonzo's mom and I returned to our seats, on the couch, in the living room. 

"Did you bake with your mother?"

"Unfortunately, I didn't have that opportunity. My mother died when I was a little girl." I answered. 

"Oh, I'm so sorry."

"It's alright."

"And your father?" she continued to ask. 

I wasn't prepared for this question. I have been so angry with my father ever since he arranged to have me married, so his name wasn't disgraced. 

"He is no longer in my life either."

"Oh Jade, I am terribly sorry."

"It's quite alright. It's been a long time anyway. I guess that's why I push Alonzo to spend time with you. Because one day, he won't have that time anymore." I explained. 

"I appreciate that, Jade. And I'm sorry for being so rude to you." Mrs. Travis apologized. 

"It's alright, I know that Alonzo is your baby boy and that you are just looking out for him."

"Yes, you will know soon enough the love a mother has for her children."

I put my hand gently over my belly.

"Alonzo has always wanted a family. I am happy that he is going to have one very soon." she said with a smile. 

Before I could say anything else, the boys came back carrying a Christmas tree. They set the trunk of the tree in the stand and secured it. Alonzo came over to me kissing the top of my head before sitting down next to me.

"What do you think?" Alonzo asked.

"It's a nice tree, but I think it would look even better with some decorations." I smiled. 

Alonzo smiled. "Well you heard the young lady, lets get decorating!" his father said excitingly.

As Alonzo and his parents decorated the tree, I took the cookies out of the oven and turning on some Christmas music. Then, I joined in decorating the tree. With the music playing in the background, Alonzo took me in his arms and we started dancing together. 

"Are you having a nice time?" I asked. 

"Yes, thank you for pushing me to do this."

I gave Alonzo a kiss on the lips. We were not aware that his parents were staring at us. 

"Awe." his mother blurted out, before she hugged her husband.