[ 14 ]

Days flew by and it was almost the first task of the Triwizard Tournament. The argument she had with Draco days ago was getting the best of her as she never felt more guilty than she already is when time passes by. It just became more uncomfortable when they passed by one another without saying a word, almost as if they didn't know each other. This, of course, was equally awkward to their friends respectively. Especially, Ginny and Hermione knew what happened, although the two of them had different opinions on it. 

While Hermione thinks that what Aine said was right about him fearing for his friends' changed perspective on him if he did turn over a new leaf, Ginny thought otherwise as she feel like what he said was right. The ginger-head girl could empathize with him because she felt the same way after being 'possessed' by Tom Riddle during her first year. She feared her friends wouldn't like her if she told them about her little secret she shared with the Dark Lord, she fears their views on her that may change.

However, unlike Ginny who had friends who supported her truly during her darkest of times, Aine can't help but wonder if Draco had true friends hidden amongst the group of bullies and arrogant souls. This made her even more bitter, knowing for a fact that there may not be one person with who he could share his worries without getting judged. She knew she should apologize, but finding the right timing wasn't exactly great since she was busy helping Harry with his first task alongside Hermione. Every time she wishes to talk to the Slytherin boy privately, two possible outcomes came from it. 

One: Draco would ignore her and pretend like she didn't exist, and two: Pansy Parkinson, a fellow Slytherin student in Draco's gang would swoon over him, throwing a string of compliments and cringe-worthy lines to tear his attention from Aine, and of course, a scowling glare in Aine's direction whenever she came close. It was frustrating and annoying and she reminded Aine of a bulldog that would never let a stranger get close to its owner or else it'll bite. Not to mention the friendship they both had shared was fracturing and chipping after the fight and Aine wondered, will this be where she and Draco fall apart and become strangers? From that one single argument? 

Just like the unresolved conflict she has with Draco, the friendship between Ron and Harry was equally falling apart, if not already breaking. Aine and Ginny found out that Ron knew about what the first task was going to be and didn't tell Harry nonetheless. She couldn't help but feel that this was a retaliation Ron had given Harry after he was chosen as a Triwizard Champion and didn't tell him about how he placed his name in the fire. Even so, it seems like everything around Aine was in tatters. Just a couple of weeks ago, they were all worrying about whether they might be able to advance to the next year with all of the intense curricula. Only a few weeks ago, they barely worried about their friendships at all since it was thriving rather well. Life is so unpredictable at times where one moment you feel you're at the top of the world, and the next thing that happened is when you're mercilessly thrown into a dark sea and not knowing how to swim to shore. 

Aine slams her head down onto the wooden tables at the Great Hall, in midst of finishing her assignment after class with Ginny. The sudden thud sound caused students around her to turn in her direction, eyeing warily at the girl and gazes filled with concern, or for one, panic. "Aine!" Hermione gasps, pulling the girl's shoulders up and distancing Aine's forehead and the table, "Are you alright?" she asks the girl who simply gave a thumbs up, but her expression says otherwise. Aine's eyes were drooping, in desperate need of sleep since she was too busy overthinking and not being able to sleep well for the past few days.

"Jeez, Ai. Get a grip on yourself!" Ginny added, wincing at her friend's poor forehead that was getting pinker by the second, after such impact, she wouldn't be surprised if it starts to bruise the next day. 

"I'm fine!" the girl replies with a sheepish smile.

"Liar."

"Definitely a lie."