[ 22 ]

Everyone had soon gone back to their common rooms by the time the Yule Ball was coming to an end, much to their displeasure. Aine on the other hand was wandering about the quiet corridors of Hogwarts, her unsteady heels clacking as she walks through passageways, letting her feet take her wherever she want. It was nearly midnight but since the curfew was extended, she might as well give herself a tour around alone. 

In a few days, all these pretty decorations will be taken down and it was a pity that it lasted only for a short while. She didn't want Christmas to end since it was her favourite holiday and celebration of the year, it was when people come together to rejoice, to have fun, to be surrounded by not only gifts but happiness and the atmosphere was just so cosy and warm despite the brutal winter. It seemed that during this time of the year, Hogwarts was breathtakingly more astonishing and magical; Aine loved it, it was like walking around in a massive Christmassy castle, exploring and searching for tiny little pretty things that only happens in fairytales.

She hums a small tune, a Christmas carol as she walks, gazing at the icicles and bauble ornaments decorated around the school. Her fingers brushed through the dangling beaded garlands, feeling the various textures of the decorations and admiring them as she went by. It was such a waste not to roam around in the castle today, especially when it was the most beautiful. She felt the slight wind that tickles her bare shoulders and giggled to herself, it was cold but it felt so peaceful and lovely that she didn't mind the cold, and it was cooling her heated body too.

When she realized where she was, her feet took her up the spiral stairway of the Astronomy Tower and by the time she had reached the top, she was out of breath. Aine panted, holding onto the handles, she was alright when climbing up the stairs but today was different. Perhaps I'm too exhausted from all the dancing, she thought to herself. Chuckling slightly, she whispered, "Silly me~"

Her sight spiralled for a moment and she tightens her grip on the railings for support, groaning as she shook away the dizziness until she was feeling alright again. When her vision cleared up, she spotted a lone figure standing in front of her, his eyes staring right at hers, "Sorry, I didn't know someone was here," she blurted, giggling to herself again, "I will take my leave now!" she curtsied, tripping on her shoes, only to be caught by him.

"Please, stay," he spoke, and Aine looks at him, "Oh? Hello there, my lord!" she greeted happily and he snorted at her comment, "My my. Have you been drinking, my lady?" he asked and she nodded, stumbling to the ground as she sighs, "All I drank was water... Juice and some bubbled drink—" she counted with her fingers and he chuckles, watching her explain, "It was horrible though! Ugh... It was the worst drink I've ever drunk at Hogwarts and I only drank a little!" she complains, "Even the medicine I brewed was so much tastier."

Her words slurred as she talked, making him amused at the sight of her. It was a first since he has never seen her like this, and she was being adorable right now in his eyes. He lowers himself down so that he met eye and eye with Aine, taking a small sniff of the air around them, "Yeah, that's definitely alcohol. It's bad for you, you shouldn't have drunk it." he mumbles to her, watching her head nodding away.

"Really?" she beamed, "Did you drink it too?" she asks brightly, her pupils growing wide and sparkly at him.

"Oh, dear," he let out a sigh, his eyes staring tenderly at her, "What am I going to do with you, Aine?" he said softly, tucking her fringe behind her ears before her eyelids fluttered open at his touch, "Draco..?"

"Hi there, love," he smiled at her and her eyes widened, "Wha— Oh! Hi there!"

She didn't know what had just happened, all that she was now wide awake. It was so sudden, one moment she was feeling so sleepy and then she wasn't anymore. Then when she noticed that they were talking normally, she became conscious again and Draco caught on too. He looks away from her, and the mood around them tensed up. This was the first time they spoke to one another after a long time, ever since they fought— Ever since she got a panic attack and he carried her to the infirmary.