[ 19 ]

As the leaves crunched and fell from the trees, the dews on it had formed into tiny blobs of crystals. The skies grew cloudy and the green grasslands were soon covered in a thick layer of snow, like a blanket that autumn has snuggled into. Winter has finally arrived at Hogwarts.

The wind howled as the snow fell onto Earth, like cotton candy, reminding everyone of the sweetness of candy canes and peppermint candies, gingerbreads and puddings, log cakes and scrumptious pies. Moreover, Hogwarts was filled with decorations to celebrate festivities, with baubles and icicles hung on archways, wreaths and garlands stretching from wall to wall. Even decorated Christmas trees had settled in most classrooms, except the Potions classroom (since Professor Snape had tossed them out every time Filch or Hagrid takes it in). 

Although Aine had managed to smuggle in a couple of glittered poinsettia flowers, star and bauble ornaments to decorate the dull and gloomy classroom, much to Snape's annoyance. He eventually gave in to her since she wouldn't stop pestering him if she could hang his potion bottles instead of regular ornaments. And he most certainly didn't want anyone messing with his potions, let alone dangle them over shelves like a stupid tree. It was hideous, to him at least.

Students were all gearing up for the happiest time of the year, Christmas; as well as the Yule Ball that was just approaching in a week, which students had mixed feelings about. Stress, anxious and worried about not being able to get a partner, or just resentful, grouchy and envious of others

The girl groaned in frustration, throwing her arms in the air before slamming her body down into the carpet-like snow, "This is so unfair!" Ginny complains, throwing a small snowball at the wall in front of her. "Third years aren't allowed to the Yule Ball? Then why did we spend all those hours trying to learn the steps of waltzing?" she questions and Aine fell along with her, drawing onto the thick snow, "Now you tell me, I was looking forward to having some of those lovely desserts and enjoy the music the Weird Sisters were going to perform!" she pouted and Ginny snapped to her, "You're upset because you can't eat great food and see the performance?" 

"Well, yeah, I mean. They're great."

The red-headed girl and Hermione exhaled loudly, "Why, weren't you sad about that too?" Aine asks and Ginny slaps her forehead, "No! I'm angry because I always wanted to go to the ball and dance with people! It's fun and yet now we may never get to experience it!" she frowns, blowing the snow to her friend's direction. Aine knew how much Ginny was looking forward to the ball, knowing how much she wanted to dress up prettily for once in her life at Hogwarts and have a good time with her friends on Christmas. Yet, now it seems impossible and that wish only appears to be drifting away now. 

"Sorry, Mione. We're really bad at concealing our emotions," Ginny apologizes and Hermione knelt to her friends, not knowing what to say to cheer them up and hence, letting them rant about their feelings so the least she could do was to hear them. She heaved a sigh, disappointed she won't be seeing her best friends that night. Even so, she tried her best to lift their spirits by starting a snowball fight.

She tosses one to Ginny causing the girl's interest to be piqued, she never wanted to back down from a fight, not even a snowball fight. Smirking, her hands grab a large amount of snow and she squishes it, making Hermione's smile fall, "Oh no," she gasps before running away with her friend chasing after her. 

Aine laughed at her friends being silly, only to earn a ball of snow thrown into her face. She could feel a nerve being pulled before she grins, "That's how it is, huh?" she quickly rolls a few balls of snow together, forming a line before she said in her head, Wingardium Leviosa

"Uh-oh," Ginny gulps, taking out her wand as she fought the levitating and rocketing snowballs darting in her direction left and right. "That's not fair!" she whines before Hermione stepped in, dodging them with her friend. They shrieked when a couple smashed softly on their robes, before running away, giggling along.