[ 23 ]

After the Yule Ball ended on a bright note, students all woke up later on Boxing Day, the festive spirit still lighted the castle's grounds and students' mood. Hermione's hair was curly once more, and Ginny's braids were undone and straight, Aine was back to her original look of wearing high-waisted trousers and a turtle neck, with her height, reverted to normal since she no longer had to wear those heels that gave her blisters. Her head was hurting and she felt groggy upon waking up that she was glued to her bed longer than usual. While the girls were feeling rather down after the ball, the boys on the other hand were thankful it was over now that they didn't have to dance anymore, nor wear hideous dress robes (according to Ron). It was fun while it lasted but neither of them had plans to do that again since it was exhausting.

Aine and her friends crowded around the Gryffindor's common room fireplace, workbooks and parchment spread across the scarlet carpet as they started completing their procrastinated homework and assignments before classes resumed once more. Everyone was feeling depressed now that all the festivities and celebrations were over in a blink of an eye— Everyone besides Harry was feeling the pressure and anxiety more than others (again) now that the second task was in a few weeks. Yet, he still hasn't got a clue on what he must do except knowing for a fact that the Golden Egg had something to do with it. When he opened it before after the first task, all he could remember was the piercing screech of a monster erupting from the egg, enough to cause everyone's ears to ring. But that was it.

As the boy grew nervous, he was on edge, even more, often getting mood swings and sudden bursts of lashing outs. It made his friends around him feel more concerned and distant at the same time since they all knew the weight he was carrying on his shoulders was far more than any of them. It was a dilemma for his closest friends, Hermione, Ron and Aine who was upset they couldn't help him in any way but to listen to his rants occasionally.

The study session dragged for almost a couple of days, everyone was determined to finish it despite their frustrations of not wanting to do any of it and just play until the new term resumes, but if they were to do that, they wouldn't be sure if they could even graduate. Hence, they swallowed down on their urge to give up, and persevered nonetheless, hoping to get it all done once and for all. Hermione and Aine were the first few to complete their assignments, which resulted in them helping out their peers and even teaching them about certain topics. Aine for one— was coaching both Ginny and Harry for potions much to their disdain, especially Harry since he had absolutely loathed Potions, partly due to Professor Snape, who was exceptionally great at taunting and bullying the boy in his class.

Halfway through the tutoring, they decided to stop for an hour to take a break on their eyes and necks which they have been abusing for quite some time after bending their head down to the ground as they sprawled all over the floor. Aine checked her watch, it was about three o'clock now and since she was feeling stuffy from being cooped up in the common room for hours, she decided to take a breather outside alone.

She draped herself with a plaided jacket before strolling around the castle grounds, puffs of air escaping through her lips as she breathed, letting go of some of her stress as the freezing air cools her lungs slightly. Her brown boots dragged themselves across the gravel pavement before she stops by the black lake, sighing once more. Her mind has been all over the place ever since that night when she came back from the Astronomy tower after she caught a glimpse of that lady who flickered past the mirror, at Aine's reflection. She didn't think much about it due to the overloading work she was bound to complete and perhaps it was also because she didn't want to picture the image again in her mind. It was horrifying and even the thought of it gave her goosebumps, the way she stared at her, how identical those golden pupils were, how creepy that wicked smile was and how disturbing her name sounded off the woman's lips when she spoke.