[ 16 ]

To be ignorant of one's memories, is it a sin? Everyone has something they're afraid of, something they're hiding deep down their hearts, locked up in an iron box. Yet, in some cases, memories were locked to protect, and the key we thought had been thrown into a deep sea, was actually in our hands all along. The question remains, will we try to unlock them or will the box be always shut locked away? Should we forget about them, or should we recollect the tiny fragments of it?

Even though it will only bring pain?

Aine's eyes fluttered open, wincing at the blinding light that greeted her as she looks around the infirmary. Puzzled, she got up from her bed, but as soon as she did that, a piercing pain shot through her head and she groaned, she caresses her temples. Shaking the drowsiness away, she saw a figure next to her and it was none other than Professor Dumbledore. Immediately, she shot straight up to greet him, "Good morning, Professor Dumbledore!"

"Ah, yes good morning indeed. It's actually afternoon right now. So, I supposed it's a good afternoon," the Headmaster simpers, his eyes twinkling through his half-moon glasses before his lips fell into a frown, "You shouldn't get up too quickly, the medicine is still doing its work."

"Medicine? What medicine?" she asks as Dumbledore made his way to her front table, where there were many candies, cards and gifts piled up on it. He smirked as he casually takes a lemon sherbet candy after Aine told him to help himself. "You had a panic attack yesterday after your Defense Against the Dark Arts class."

"Oh, did I? Wait... What panic attack?" she questions, her memories were still a little fuzzy from yesterday but the throbbing pain in her head was slowly subsiding. All she could remember yesterday was that she was feeling sick and tired after class, and had to take a small breather to catch her breath, and then...

What happened next? Aine's brows knitted together, trying to piece her memories back, she remembered a soothing voice and someone's touch but why did she need someone to calm her? Not knowing that Dumbledore was studying her, she got lost in her thoughts, why can't she remember? "Are you feeling better now?" he asks her, worry in his eyes. Aine looked up to him and gave a short smile, "I guess so, my hands aren't trembling anymore and my heart isn't beating as fast as before. I supposed I'm feeling better now! Except..." she trails off, sadness in her smile.

Dumbledore hums, urging her to go on, "I can't remember what happened afterwards," she confesses, "There's definitely something, but I just can't remember what is it," she added, dejected.

The older man sat down on the bed opposite hers and spoke, "Perhaps, if it's something you're meant to forget, you will. There are times when some things are intended to be forgotten. The more you try to remember, the memories will be sinking deeper and it'll get harder to learn from it. However, when the time comes and those forsaken memories surface once more, when that happens time, don't forget it. Embrace it head-on."

Tears welled up in Aine's eyes as she looks away, she sniffles once, "Estoileon?" Dumbledore called her, taken aback by her sudden tears. "Dear me, did I say something wrong?"

"No, sir. I just..." she let out a small laugh, "I don't know why I'm like this either."

"There is nothing to apologize for. Being vulnerable at times doesn't make you weak but maybe it's because you've been strong for too long," He tells her and she looks downwards to her hands, "You're always so wise. Professor. Did you know how everyone admired you and wants to be as strong as you someday?" she reveals, and Dumbledore chuckles, "I'm sure they will. I'm sure you will become a great person someday as well," his words held certainty as if he already saw what his students will become. Or did he already see it happen?