[ 32 ]

A couple of days later, Cedric's memorial was held in the Great Hall after the End-of-Year feast. The once vibrantly lit hall was dimmed and sombre today, sunlight filtered warmly into the room from above, giving the students who mourned and grieved a tiny bit of light to comfort their heavy, longing hearts. The house flags that were once proudly hung above the candle-lit ceiling was altered to black drapes, hanging in the empty wooden arch structure from the roofs.

Students from various schools sat together in rows, scattered across the Great Hall as they hung their heads down to pay their respects to the deceased. Aine sat between Ginny and the Weasley twins along with Fleur and Gabrielle, their eyes staring downwards. Dumbledore gave a heavy sigh as his forehead creased with deep thought. No one spoke at all and the hall was silent and blue, it was only when the Headmaster took the courage and broke the silence after a long while, "Today, we acknowledge a really terrible loss. Cedric Diggory was, as you all know, exceptionally hard-working, infinitely fair-minded and, most importantly, a fierce, fierce friend." 

The Headmaster stood up from his chair and walked towards the owl podium as his eyes gazed at every single student and staff in the hall. He swallows, his steps heavy and his shoulders drooped, "Now, l think, therefore, you have the right to know exactly how he died. You see... Cedric Diggory was murdered— by Lord Voldemort!" he announced and students began fidgeting, unable to believe their ears. They couldn't accept the fact that the once-feared Dark Lord has returned, and that he was the one who killed their beloved schoolmate.

But it was true, the Dark Lord has risen once more.

Aine chewed her lips, her fists trembling as Ginny placed her hand over hers, casting a worried look at her. She pursed her lips into a forced smile before her head drops down again, ashamed and bitter. Her eyes were welling up but she made sure no tears fell from her eyes, not wanting to show a hint of vulnerability. Yet it was difficult, she had only known Cedric for a year. She only started knowing him only recently since the Quidditch World Cup but she was always happy around him, he was always someone who tolerated her jokes and played together with her. He was headstrong, friendly and caring to many, even though he wasn't friends with everyone. He was undyingly kindhearted, filial and humble.

She felt her nails dig into her palms as her knuckles grew whiter, she was still unable to shake the feeling of regret and guilt of not being able to save him and that her vision of Wormtail killing Cedric will always be there to haunt her. 

"The Ministry of Magic does not wish me to tell you this. But not to do so, l think, would be an insult to his memory."

After the events of the final task, the ministry has deemed that the death of a champion was none other than a tragic accident. Since then, the Triwizard Tournament was forced to be permanently discontinued. It was a great debate over the years but only recently, it was finally laid down that the games were horrible and dangerous. Aine and her friends were having mixed feelings about it, relieved that the tournament was at last terminated but disgruntled that it was only put to an end only recently. 

"Now, the pain, we all feel at this dreadful loss reminds me... And reminds us that while we may come from different places and speak in different tongues. Our hearts beat as one. ln light of recent events, the bonds of friendship we've made this year will be more important than ever! Remember that, and Cedric Diggory will not have died in vain."

Several sobs and sniffles echoed throughout the hall and students nodded, hugging one another to bury their sorrows, sharing the pain and grief. Tears fell from their faces from students of different schools, even though they weren't close with the Hufflepuff boy, it would be a lie to say that they didn't feel anything because it was just sad. A person's death is always tragic, sad and painful, no matter whether one is related through relationships or not, but the feeling towards them, be it a bond or a sentimental connection.