[ 18 ]

After the first task was successfully finished, with minor casualties to none, the Gryffindor common room was exceptionally in high spirits thanks to their champion who had managed to battle against a dragon to capture the golden egg that was in the first task. Everyone including the portraits had circled Harry, applauding his efforts and triumph. Students that were once belittling and slandering Harry had completely changed for the better after seeing his fight. Although Aine and her friends were grateful that Harry had lesser people who picked on him, they can't help but feel annoyed at the sudden change. 

On the other hand, Ron had reconciled with his best friend at last which both Hermione, Ginny and Aine were glad to hear. Things were still rough and awkward around the two boys, but they know that in no time, they'll get back to where they were before their little argument. This of course made Aine even more envious and upset, knowing that she has yet to talk things out with Draco. She heaved a loud sigh that was muted by the cheers of her housemates, delighted and proud of the Gryffindor's champion. 

She figured that she'll try to confront the Slytherin boy by the end of this week, in hopes to settle their dispute and becoming friends again. Drown in her thoughts with imaginations of her facing Draco again, Aine zoned out. However, her bubble of thought was only broken by the screeching scream that erupted from the golden egg as soon as Harry had opened it. Groaning, she covers her ears with her palms, wincing at the high-pitched noise and once the boy had managed to close it, she was slightly dizzy from the screams. It was only then that students began to scatter away, heading to their respective rooms to turn in for the night. It was a big, long day after all and for some students in particular.

The following weeks blew by like a breeze, it was almost time for the end-of-term quizzes and that means Christmas would be here soon. These days, students had been gossiping about a rumour of a certain ball would be held in Hogwarts this year, to commemorate the three schools uniting during the Triwizard Tournament, as well as to make some new connections during events like these. 

Digging her fork into the country pie with her eyes half-opened, Aine yawned before she places a small chunk of pie into her mouth, chewing while sleeping. Ron flicked her forehead in front of her, causing her to jerk awake, "Stop sleeping and eating, Aine. Choose one!" he scolded her and the girl groans, "I don't want to be hearing that from you, Ron," she replies, staring at him deadpanned.

"I can't believe this!" Hermione scoffs, throwing the newspaper down as she crumples the edges. "What is it, Mione?" Aine asks, putting a carrot in her mouth.

"I can't believe she's done it again!" the brunette huffed with anger and in disbelief as she showed her friends the article she was reading. Reading it out loud with a voice filled with frustration, she spoke, "Miss Granger, a plain but ambitious girl seems to be developing a taste for famous wizards. Her latest prey, sources report is none other than the Bulgarian bonbon, Viktor Krum. No word yet on how Harry Potter's taking this latest emotional blow!" 

"No, she didn't," Harry replied, though he wasn't that baffled, knowing that it was Rita Skeeter who had written it. 

"This isn't all, there's more," Hermione tells them, reading on, "Miss Estoileon, a talented potion student has her eyes set on two victors: Beauxbatons gem, Fleur Delacour and Hogwarts sweetheart, Cedric Diggory. It seems that she is fixed in overthrowing these two champions of their popularity and status. A girl full of determination and skill, it has been noted that she has been getting closer to the champions. Perhaps, is it her goal to steal the spotlight from these amazing victors? Read on for more in the next edition, my fellow enthusiastic readers!"

It would be lying if Aine said it didn't affect her because she could feel her blood boiling as Hermione recited the article. Yet, with a smile on her face, she commented, "Oh, dear Skeeter, always publishing the most absurd and dubious stories!"