[ 26 ]

With eyes that stare aimlessly above the trees where the howling wind blew, and mouth that hung open without speaking another tale laid a man in the Forbidden Forest. It was none other than Barty Crouch Senior. 

Aine's eyes widened with shock, taking a step back as she covers her mouth as a gasp escaped. She watches as Harry took a daring step forward, calling out to the man's name who laid motionlessly without a sound. "Is he alright?" Aine asked though she knew too well the man was not, even so, she took her chance to ask anyway, hoping what she thought was wrong.

"I don't think so, Aine..." Harry gulps, he motioned for Hagrid to come although he made sure Ron and Hermione were far, he didn't want them to see such a sight after all. The tipsy giant immediately sobered up when he saw the lifeless man, he turned to Aine and Harry, "Not a word, both of you! Do you understand?" he instructed and they both nodded, not wanting to say anything, regardless.

Hagrid sent them all away soon after, telling them to head back to the school grounds now that night was falling. On the way, Harry let slip what had happened since both Hermione and Ron couldn't stop asking what had happened, though he had avoided telling too much detail. Throughout the way, Aine was silent despite Hermione's efforts to brighten the mood. It seemed that what happened earlier had killed off all the spirits of joy. 

After they placed down their stuff and changed out of normal clothing, Harry was ordered to meet the Headmaster to state what had happened with Aine who tagged along. Though she wasn't required to say anything, she decided to follow him to give additional proof and evidence. They descended the owl statue before their footsteps slowed down with the burning argument that they heard from the office, "A man has died here, Fudge! And he won't be the last. You must take action!"

Aine exchanged uneasy glances to Harry who squeezes her arm, offering some reassurance as they slowly approached secretly, not wanting to cause any noise that could interrupt what they were eavesdropping about.

"l will not. ln times like these, the wizarding world looks to its leaders for strength, Dumbledore!" they heard a man retort, it was Cornelius Fudge.

"Then for once show them some!" Dumbledore barks.

"The Triwizard Tournament will not be cancelled. l will not be seen as a coward!"

"A true leader does what is right, no matter what others think!"

"What did you say? What did you say to me?" the atmosphere around them sounded gloom and heavy, and things seemed heated up in the Headmaster's office. Aine turned to Harry, she mouths, "Do you think we should come back another time?"

Harry shook his head, he was piqued by the conversation and was slowly being drawn into the discussion of the officials. They were now outside of Dumbledore's office and Aine drew a short breath, slowly raising her hand to knock on the door along with Harry.

"Excuse me, gentlemen. lt may interest you to know this conversation is no longer private." As they were about to knock on the door, it swung open before their fingers could drum on the wood. The door creaks open and all three heads turned to the two students, their expressions immediately softening at the sight of Harry and Aine and it even looked like nothing was wrong and they weren't fighting in the first place at all!

"Oh, Harry! Harry, how good to see you again! And you must be Miss Estoileon! It's great to see you too!" Fudge welcomed, walking towards them with a political smile beaming at them both.

"Hello, sir," Harry greeted and Aine lowered her head into a small bow, "Are we interrupting anything? We can come back later, professor," she told them and Dumbledore quickly lowered towards them, bumping onto Fudge as he went down. "Not necessary, Harry, Aine. The minister and I are done. I'll be back in a moment," he said. "Oh, Harry, Aine, do feel free to indulge in a little Licorice Snap in my absence. But l have to warn you, they're a wee bit sharp," he added with a wink before the door slammed close, leaving the two of them in the massive room filled with hundreds of peculiar artefacts.