23: Sanchez & Jamila

Officer Theresa Sanchez

"Sorry to interrupt, Detective can I momentarily pull you aside?" I knocked on the door, entering to see Donnell and our witness analysing the suspects. "Sure, Ms Whitely I'll only be a second" the elderly lady nodded, attentive to the glass. We stepped outside into a corner.

"The suspect you just brought in...there's something going on between him and the victim's partner, Alana Smith" my statement resulted in the folding of Donnell's brows.
"This accusation stems from where?"
He rightfully questions. "Caught the both exchanging looks before you took him away" Detective scratched his beard, slowly nodding.
"And you're certain this was intended?"
"Certain. The look they shared held familiarity" He hummed, "Weird because he wasn't even brought in by my team, Chief's the one who put him up for the lineup" he noted confusedly.
"And for the pettiness of Chief's character, we may have been fortunate" Detective rested his hands upon his waist. We discussed further until we were interrupted by an outburst.

"Detective!! I've seen him. I've seen the murderer!!" An anxious Ms Whitely came through the door, reaching for Donnell, pulling him with eager. On their trail, I followed into the room.

"That's him! He fits everything I recall" Ms Whitely stared in complete awe. Moving from behind them to see who she identified, my eyes spread wide in shock.

I think we've got a contracted murder.
Ms Smith, by mistake or intended was caught laying eyes upon the person our witness believes to be the killer

Up against the glass, Ms Whitely was pressed, we all stood silent, eyes on #8.
Detective next to me, slowly turns,
"Bring me Chief" I nod, leaving the room heading for Chief's office.

Alana Smith

The drive back to my moms was a blur. I sat in the back of a cab, just thinking about the last 24 hours. This was the first time I had time to sit and realise that Rio was dead...and Sincere killed him. Sincere killed Rio.

The man I sent over a year of my life with was now dead. This doesn't feel real. Rio as I last remember doesn't feel real. I would've never imagined him to be such. I have a right to be hurting, saddened by the situation, upset with what I endured but yet these emotions fall with Rio. I know they shouldn't but his passing has an effect on me. Even with what he did to me I would never wish death on him. Knowing how Sincere feels about me, him acting out like this isn't a shock, It's just...I don't know. I don't know what's the right way to feel about this.

"Ma'am, we've arrived at your destination" the cab driver alerted me. I nodded, and thanked him before opening my door, exiting. I walked up to my mama's door, inserting my key and walking in. "Alana is that you?" I heard my mama call out before her presence was known. She immediately brought me into her embrace and I broke down in her arms. "I know baby, let it all out. I'm here to get you through this"

oh mama you can't help me with this one

"You have someone here to see you" my mom said as we parted. "Who" I sniffed, she wiped my tears before pulling me into the front room. As we turned the corner my heart stopped.
I became ghostly as I laid eyes on Rio's mother.

"Hi Alana, I'm Jamila Miller, I assume you already know but I'm Rio's mother" she got up from her seat to welcome me in a condoling hug, which I awkwardly accepted for my body stood hard like stone.