27: Hank Martin

Alana Zoie-Camille Smith
March 23rd

"You met your lawyer yet baby?" I shook my head, forgetting she couldn't see me, "Nah ma, they told he was supposed to be here when Rio's lawyer came to visit. All now he hasn't shown, one of the officers say he boutta pull up but that was bout an hour ago" I sighed into the phone.
"Well I told you coco them state lawyers ain't gone bring you justice, the man ain't even show up yet" I palmed my forehead, I know she's right but I don't regret my decision.
"We'll let's just h-
"Smith!! Your lawyer's here" an officer called. "Well Ma I guess dude showed up. I'll let you know how it goes"
"Okay bye sweetie, I love you"
"Love you too ma" I said before placing the phone back up. The officer approached me, placing me back in cuffs, commuting me to another four cornered sage room.

The officer left and now I was left with another white man in my face. "Hank Martin. I'll be defending you in court, if you ever make it to that stage" he held his hand out, I folded my arms, implying I will not be shaking his hand.

"Thought you was never going to show up" I said truthfully. He features raised before settling, "yeah I had to deal with a client that was facing the death penalty. I had about a week to spare, which was supposed to be the week I come visit you but they had pushed the date to appeal for him closer, so in which resulted in my absence. My apologies for that" he explained, my hostility ceasing. I nodded, in response of acceptance.

"Now that I am here, I must let you know I've listened to the recording of your alibi as well as video taping of when Tate Lasso came up in here without my permission. I must note that because he did so, whatever you may have confessed cannot be used in court unless the jury allows it. Luckily you said little to no words which is fortunate on our end" I nodded once again. He took notice of that, taking a moment to think.

"Alana, I hope you know I'm here to work with you. I'm not here to prove you're guilty, I come to your defence. I know it must be hard to trust a stranger especially in these circumstances but in order for you to walk out free, you need my help. And in order for me to help you, I need you to let down your guard" his eyes referring to my body language, I unfolded my arms hesitantly.

"What's next" I say to him.
He adjusts his posture, sitting up, "Well I mentioned how I've listened to your alibi. And I think your freedom can be easily attainable"
"Huh how?" I asked inquisitively.
"By proving the truth in your alibi. If what you said was accurate, they have no reason to hold you any longer for you were brought into custody under suspicion of murder. How can you commit murder if you weren't there when the crime took place. This wouldn't be possible if you were held under suspicion of connection to murder"
the look on my face said it all,
mama I got lucky with this one!
"I could be clear of all charges?"
"Not entirely, you can still be called in court to testify. They may ask you for your alibi, or discuss the relation you have with Mr Jackson. You can still be charged with murder if they find you have any connection to the murder of Mr Miller. Proving accuracy in your alibi only allows me as of right now to free you from police custody" I intently listen, processing it all.

"So I ask of you, before I make this claim, is there anything left out of my knowledge after listening to that recording about your alibi that has not been said that may impact the success and outcome of me appealing for your release?"
His brown orbs pierce into mine. I fiddle with my fingers, contemplating relinquishing my next words.

I encountered Sincere before the crime took place....but I was unconscious. When Sin pulled up, I didn't even see him, I was asleep in the back seat, this detail can't be crucial could it? The only reason I know of this is because I questioned Cae who the woman bandaging me up was. The next time I saw Sincere was after he had committed the crime and still then I hadn't known to the extent what he did.
It's better left unsaid.
"No there's nothing else, as far as I can remember, all is said in that recording" I speak confidently, he nods, raising from his seat.

"I trust in what you say Ms Smith, if this goes well, you'd be free by tomorrow morning"
"Really?!! Thank you" I erratically leaned over the table separating us and gave him a hug. Realising I was suffocating a man I just met two seconds ago I urgently released him, apologising immediately.

He went quite pink, nervously smiling.
"Um you're indeed very welcome Ms Smith, well I'll-I'll get back to you tomorrow with news on the outcome" I nodded, smiling for the first time in five days as I watch him exit out the room.

I'm really bout to be out this bitch

24 hours later

Sincere Karim Jackson
March 24th
2:17 pm

"Jackson, you got a call" Pernell voice said from the other side. He came in, I stood up turning around awaiting the cuffs on ma wrist.
"You recognise da voice" I ask lowly.
"Naw, I ain't the one who picked up the call"
I nodded understanding. He took me over to the phone booth, uncuffing my hands, he gave me some space while I took the call.
"Yo, who dis" I said into the call.
"Sincere" that soft ass voice, alerting me right up.
"Alana?" I whispered harshly, "Mama what you doin callin me on here? hol on you out of custody?"

"My lawyer got me out Cere, evidence through a neighbour's backyard camera of me running away at the time I said randomly popped up out of nowhere. They lawfully couldn't continue to hold me" she spoke with excitement.

Slim pulled thru, he sent that nigga Hank Martin. He a verified lawyer that be helping ma crew from time to time; but of course mama don't know dat.

"I'm glad you walkin mama. Where you at, I know you smart enough to not call me on ya cell"
"Don't worry I'm on a pay phone at some gas station, my mom stopped to get some gas. I couldn't wait to hear your voice, I had to know if you was doing alright" she always worrying bout me "You know I stay straight, but shit hearing they ain got you no more got me inna good mood" I smiled a lil, I can feel her happy ass smilin on da other end.
"I should even be mad at you for getting in that police mess but I miss too much to speak on that"
"A nigga missed you more beautiful"
I know I got her ass smilin
"You got me over here smiling hard as hell on the pay phone boy" wha I tell y'all
"Come see me, I gotta see that in person" I requested. "Sin you know I can't-
"I know you can, they got our past out da mud ma. We ain gotta hide nun" I heard her sigh.
She holding back fa a reason.
"What's the reason" she gone say huh, "Naw don't huh me, you ain wan see me cus some in da way" I know her like da back of ma hand
"If I come see you, it gone look like I don't care...bout Rio's passing"
"And?" I furrowed ma eyebrows. I know dam well she ain feeling fa that nigga.
"And I do. I know I shouldn't but meeting his mom made me realise I can't help but feel. It doesn't make sense on why it's stopping me from seeing you but I'm sure if I do straight away, the media got spread it and his mom gone see it. Maybe I'm overthinking—
"You are overthinking" I said bluntly.
"Sinnn" she dragged out.
"I'm gon go down fa this Lana, we know it. And when I do, I ain gone be staying so near"
"Sin don't speak like that" her voice going dim, "I know yeen far from me so pull up, you gone make ma ass say please" I heard her laugh a lil, she knows I hate saying please, makes me sound like a bitch.
*one minute left*
The voice on the call said. "Mama we only got a minute left, you comin?"
She sighed heavily.
"Okayyy cereal"
"Preciate that sunflower. Ima see you soon, I luh you" I said waiting on her response.
"I love you too" she said before the line ended.

___

Like, comment, share,
love y'allllll bye