Chapter 36- "The Antidote"

*Third Person's Pnt. Of view*

The quiet forest was stirred awake as a trail of running footsteps thundered through. Dry leaves crunched beneath the rushed strides, and branches cracked like bones broken off a skeleton. The usual chatter of night critters turned into panicked squeaks as they skittered away from the approaching noise. Heaves and puffs rose through the air, while the train of rushing bodies headed towards the cliff. 

Adelina ducked beneath a low branch, but Anna carelessly ripped through it, her dark eyes set on the woman running a few steps ahead. Maynard used the trees as his mode of transportation, and Melanie was suddenly knocked to the ground by Pascal. 

"Pascal what are you doing?" Melanie demanded, as she stood to her feet quickly, and blocking Pascal's punch.
"Your majesty, it will be best if you stay down. This does not concern you." Pascal replied, just as Melanie sent a kick into his lower abdomen. 
"Like hell I am. If it involves my family, then it concerns me." Melanie replied, as she maneuvered her way out of Pascal's hold, flipping him over her shoulder and onto the ground with a thump. 
"Well then, suit yourself." Pascal announced with a low grunt, as he stood to his feet, and he and the Queen circled each other. 

A few steps ahead, Adelina could see the cliff ahead. 

"Selene!" Adelina called out, as she ran faster. 
"Yes Adelina." Selene replied calmly, appearing next to the Luna, although not running.
"Glad to see you're nice and calm." Adelina commented. 
"I am always calm." 
"Of course. How do I help my daughter?" Adelina questioned.
"Manners, Luna. Manners." 
"Selene I am running for my life, do you really think I have time for manners?" 
"Mind yourself." The Moon goddess reprimanded once again.
"Fine, can you Please tell me how to save my daughter?" 
"Hmmh." Selene hummed pensively, Adelina dared a look over her shoulder. Anna's eyes were filled with unspoken rage and hunger. She doubted her daughter to be somewhere in that darkness. But Adelina didn't let that thought take root in her brain. She would save her daughter, no matter what. 

"Adelina, who was the last person to run with the cliff while completely deranged?" Selene quizzed.
"Really Selene? For once just give me a straight answer." 
"Answer the question Adelina."
"Me! It was me." Adelina replied, as she jumped over a dead log.

Anna on the other hand, kicked the rotting bark, sending an explosion of splinters scattered about the forest floor.  

"And who helped you?" Selene continued with her calm tone, while next to her, Adelina puffed and wheezed like a wolf with asthma. 
"Demitrey." Adelina replied, her tone breathless.
"And what made it possible for him to help you?" 
"He's my mate." Adelina replied, her tone taking that of common sense. 

Selene looked her way, and raised her chin as if Adelina could read her mind.  Adelina squinted her eyes in a pensive manner, then her eyebrows rose in realization. 

"That's it." She whispered to herself. 
"Joseph, I need you to meet me at the cliff. Now!" Adelina mind-linked Joseph, just as she broke out into the clearing, with Selene nowhere in sight. 

Adelina turned just in time to block Anna's first flying attack. The block sent both ladies in opposite directions.

"Joseph!" Adelina called out again.
"On my way Luna." Adelina heard Joseph reply, as she deferred Anna's attack, and pushed her with enough force that Anna lost her balance and fell to the ground. But that only lasted for a second. Anna was quickly back up.

"Anna-Marie, you need to snap out of it." Adelina spoke, but Anna blinked her way confused, before smiling a dark grin and replying with a distorted voice, "I am not Anna. I am your worst nightmare."