Chapter 14- "Well Then..."

*Third Person's pnt. Of view*

Anna-Marie found herself sitting on the farthest end of the cave where light penetrated enough for her to see her surroundings. She kept her back to Joseph, needing space from him and pretty much everything that has happened since her birthday, which frankly was not too long ago. Anna felt more than overwhelmed with the immense amount of detail she heard from Joey, and Joey... Anna didn't even want to think about him. She was torn. It was painful to watch her best friend turn into a stranger, and it was almost as if someone was tearing her heart from her chest.

Anna-Marie knew that Joey wasn't perfect. Heck she wasn't perfect either, but she just wished that he would've spoken to her. She wished he would've told her from the go what was happening, instead of hiding it and pushing her away. What irked Anna-Marie the most was that, her friendship with Joey had a fail safe. Xavier figured it out, and he practically destroyed the bond and trust that build over the years between her and Joey.

Anna-Marie sighed and shook her head looking down. What could she do now? She had to trust Joey and go with the plan that set up for tomorrow, but after tomorrow... what was to become of them?

"Need a little company?" Came Selene's voice from beside Anna, which caused her to almost jump out of her skin.
"Grandma... I mean really, I am too young to die of a heart attack, if that's your aim, by all means please continue to scare me whenever you please." Anna ranted before she could stop herself.
"Oh stop being so dramatic. Your mother got used to me popping in, well at least I think she did. Anyways, tell me dear, what are you feeling?" Selene asked, her mother like tone soft, and comforting.
"Too much for me to put into words." Anna-Marie admitted as she looked down.
"Just try." Selene encouraged, and after sighing, and shaking off the tears that were close to spilling, Anna began to explain, "I feel angry, tired, ashamed, betrayed, violated, used, lost, in pain, did I say ashamed? Oh and overwhelmed. I mean for a moment Joey lived in the reality that Vanessa was pregnant. And if she was, what was going to happen between us? Huh? I mean I am the future Luna, I couldn't possibly bring this scandal into our home, I- I just..." Anna-Marie trailed off as she shook her head, feeling weaker by the second.

Selene who had listened attentively, for once, took a moment before she spoke.

"Anna, do you know of your parents' story?" Selene asked.
"Yeah, she was sold to him as a treaty, but my grandpa had Serena in play since dad turned 18. She sabotaged their relationship, along with other accomplices. My mother ran away, but she was the only one able to save the pack, so she came back, and after fighting a few crazy battles and opponents, my parents managed to fall in love again. Where are you going with this?" Anna-Marie replied, then asked.
"So what is the moral of the story?" Selene questioned.
"Sometimes the people you trust the most, are the ones plotting against you...?" Anna replied, though her statement sounded more like a question.
"And...?" Selene pushed.
"And..."
"Love, I once had to explain this to your mother, cannot be defined. The saying 'love conquers all' is only made true when the hearts of those involved are true. Anna-Marie, who hasn't made a mistake in their lives? Have you ever told you parents about that night when you and Joseph shared your first kiss?" Selene questioned, and Anna-Marie felt her face heat up with a blush as she whined "grandma..."
"What? Anna listen to me, You're a leader. Leaders have to learn. Sometimes you have to got through the roughest patch, and the worst of experiences, to become a diamond. Something that amazes others. People look up to you. As a leader you will he faced with questions. Young men and women who won't feel comfortable talking to their parents, will seek your council. Now if you barely have any experience, and you've been pampered all your life, you won't be able to relate to your people. Outside the walls of the castle, life happens. And it's not always rainbows and butterflies. Vanessa's happen, Joey's happen. There are countless Xavier's and Serena's and Clarissa's. There's lies, and deceit, there's happiness and peace. You have to have experience. You need to be flexible, in a way, a Princess could relate to you, just as a beggar can relate to you. A leader has to be humble, and kind. A leader must know what its like to cry, to feel insecure, to feel fear, in order to build courage, and confidence, not to mention, in order to wake up and smile." Selene explained, as she tried to get through to Anna.
"I'm hearing you, but-"
"There are no buts. Alright, Joseph made a mistake, but what has he done from the moment he realized he screwed up? He began making things right. He's here because he cares and loves you. But don't take my word for it. Talk to to him. Don't shut him out. At least give him a sign to encourage that you're willing to make this work."
"But what if I don't want to make it work? He broke my heart Selene, my trust. I'm not really in the giving or forgiving mood right now, it's not even Christmas." Anna stated, wanting to out up a fight.
"Then reject him. If his mistakes suddenly make you better than him, if you don't think his slip up is worthy of a Redemption, then save us all the prolonged drama and reject him so that you each can go your separate ways, and he can find another mate-"
"What?" Anna stated, when she felt an unwanted pang of jealousy.
"Willing to give him a chance, and I'll try to see if I can find someone tall enough to reach your high pedestal." Selene scolded with a strict tone, and Anna-Marie's mouth fell to the ground.
"Now Selene that is uncalled for." Anna stated hurt.
"Anna-Marie you're 21. Where your parents may have babied you, you are now an adult, and I will not mince my words. Make up your mind, either you cut Joseph loose, or you stop acting so immature and face your problems. I expect your answer by tomorrow evening."
"Selene-" Anna-Marie turned to face her, but instantly found herself alone.