Chapter 7- "The Ball"- Part 1

*Third Person's pnt. of View*

The day following the Picnic, Anna found herself standing outside her father's office, needing to ask him permission to go to the ball with Xavier. She had been pacing outside the office, often biting her nails nervously as she tried to figure out how to ask her parents for permission without having to answer too many questions.

Anna-Marie knew not telling her parents that Xavier was a vampire was not the best way to go about things, but she knew that besides her Aunt Melanie's clan, her parents weren't too trusting of other vampires, and that was enough to have Anna-Marie keep that detail to herself. 

Anna didn't have the chance to ask her dad for permission during training that morning because Joey was once again absent, and she absentmindedly found herself worrying about the bastard. She knew he wasn't in trouble, or else uncle Kade would've said something. She had not seen in for two days, and though it irked her to think about him spending time with Vanessa, she only hoped that he was okay.

After tiring her body out with the pacing, and running out of nails to bite, letting out a quick breath, Anna mustered the courage to knock on the door, and after hearing the "come in" from her father, she made her way in.

"Hi dad." Anna stated in a singsong tune, and Demitrey simply raised an eyebrow at her tone and said "what do you want?"
Shocked, but already knowing her father, Anna shook her head and said "you know me that well huh?"
"You only use that tone when you want me to do something, or give your permission to do something. You are your mother's daughter, so yes, I know you that well." Demitrey explained, unable to keep the smile from his face, when Anna sat down across from him.
"Alright, I'll give you that. My friend, Xavier, the one I had a picnic with today, he invited me to attend an event with him in two days. Can I go please?" Anna asked calmly, though her mind was in a frenzy. 
"What kind of event?" Demitrey questioned carefully.
"Just a small get together, nothing serious. I mean we have to dress fancy because apparently there will be some important people there and he wants to make an impression." Anna-Marie replied, trying to dodge her father's question with a fib.
"An impression?" Demitrey demanded with a raised eyebrow.
"Yeah." Anna nodded, trying her best to appear calm, though she could feel her armpits dampen with sweat.
"Important people? What important people?" Demitrey asked, having the feeling that Anna was keeping something from him.
"Well you know, he simply said important people. Didn't go into detail, but I think he only said that because his ex-girlfriend will be there." Anna blurted out before she could stop herself.
"Ex-girlfriend?" Demitrey asked skeptically.
"Yeah, she dumped him a few weeks ago, and he's torn about it. She was supposed to be the one accompanying him." Anna nodded, her lie sounding so convincing, even she started believing it herself.
"So what, he's using you to make his girlfriend jealous?" Demitrey asked, now suspicious and overprotective.
"Oh come on dad, don't look at it like that, I'm just a friend helping out a friend." Anna-Marie stated, hoping her argument and story were convincing enough.
"I don't know about this. Have you spoken to your mom about this?" Demitrey asked, feeling uneasy with letting Anna-Marie go to this "event".
"No, but if you say yes, she won't say no." Anna explained.
"Ah, so what? You're going through me first so that it's easier to convince your mother? You're using me." Demitrey pointed as he feigned a hurt expression.
"Yeah, buuuut, I will make it up to you. I will... take up those extra boxing sessions with uncle James for a whole week, no complaints." Anna-Marie bargained, as she flashed him a hopeful grin.
"Two weeks." Demitrey raised the bar, and Anna groaned but agreed nevertheless, "fine, thanks dad." Anna giggled as she walked around the desk and kissed his cheek, and with a knowing "uh huh" he let her go.

Anna walked out the office feeling very confident. One down, one to go.

At her thoughts, Anna made her way towards her mom's office at the clinic.