Chapter 23- "Focus"

*Third Person's pnt. Of View*

After the Alpha's unexpected announcement, the pack council departed along with everyone else, leaving Anna-Marie glued to her spot. No one approached her or attempted to comfort her. Aisha left without a word, and Joey was taken back to the clinic to rest. Selene didn't stick around, and Melanie returned to her chambers, in order to prepare to head back to her clan. 

Anna-Marie still remained unmoving. She didn't know whether she was breathing or not. She felt nothing. The numbness in her body and the silence in her brain was so loud, ironically they buzzed in her ear in perfect harmony.

What could she do now?

Outside the throne room, the council dissipated.

As soon as Aden and Demitrey were alone, Adelina spoke up. 

*Adelina's pnt. of view*

"What the hell was that?" I asked as I walked up to Demitrey and faced him, stopping him dead in his tracks.
"I made an announcement." He shrugged but I could already see that his eyes were guarded.
"I know that, but why didn't you talk to me about it first?" I asked crossing my arms. He took everyone off guard, including me.
"Because you would've argued with me... just like you're doing now." He pointed out, and I frowned.
"I am not arguing with you. I am just curious as to why you had to humiliate her like that in front of the whole pack!" I exclaimed, feeling the urge to shake him until his brain rattled.
"I did it for her own good. Anna-Marie is now at an age where we shouldn't be making decisions for her, yet here we are." He pushed back, and I shook my head. This was crazy.

I could understand that he was right, but reason or not, it still wasn't fair to Anna-Marie for her to have to bear such a humiliation in front of everyone. I had to make him understand that. I knew he wouldn't go back on his words, but at least he'd be able to comfort her, if anything. 

"Demitrey, she is not you, she isn't me. She was brought up in a more sheltered environment. What did you expect?" I asked him, needing to play middle man between them.
"I expected that at 21 our daughter would feel loved and nurtured enough to trust us. Babe where we did well in making sure we gave our daughter everything, and taught her everything about being a leader and running a pack, we forgot to teach her one thing: leaders earn the respect to lead. Whether it was her rightful place or not, Anna is missing the key ingredient to her reign. She doesn't know what its like to fight for something, everything has been handed to her on a silver platter, and that is our fault, but there is still a chance. She's at an age where she can grow. I just want to give her enough push so that she can open her eyes and when it's time for her to face the world of a leader, she'll come out swinging and guns blazing." Demitrey explained, and I blinked.
"Swinging and guns blazing?" I repeated because I found his wording to be interesting.
"Yeah. Look babe, I didn't do this to hurt her. It was for her own good. Yes I took away her title for all to witness, so when she earns it back, all will bear witness and no one will doubt that she will be a great leader. I am giving her an opportunity at redemption. Just like you had your rise as a Luna, and I had my redemption as an Alpha. Anna needs that signifying moment to make her mark on the world. I am creating that opportunity. Now it's up to her to choose how she plans to handle it." Demitrey explained and I finally understood his angle. 

Sighing, and relaxing my shoulder, I shook my head and smiled. 

"I know it's for her own good, but I'm a mother. While you sit in your office or train with your men, I'm gonna have to be the one to wipe away her tears, and calm her sobs. I just wish you had given me a heads up so that I could at least have a motherly speech waiting." I explained, showing that I agreed.
"Well that beautiful brain of yours has never failed you before. I am sure you'll think of something." He explained, as he placed a swift kiss on my forehead.
"Oh don't try to compliment your way out of this. You're in trouble mister." I pointed out, and he chuckled lowly, "Well, I'm sure you already know this, but I love to be in trouble with you." The change in his tone of voice warned me that if I didn't walk away, I probably wouldn't be doing any walking for the next few hours, so before he could make any suggestive moves towards me I walked away.