Chapter 40- Epilogue

*Third Person's pnt. Of view*

Once the celebration was over, Anna-Marie changed into a pair of blue jeans, and a blue short-sleeve shirt, then she headed out of the castle and towards the clinic. On her way there, Anna-Marie noticed a small bush of grass, and wild flowers growing along the path. Noticing a four-leaf clover, Anna smiled then plucked it between her right index and thumb, an idea sprouting into her head, then she continued on her way. Upon entering the clinic, Anna-Marie asked for information on which room Vanessa was being held, then she made her way there. 

Knocking softly on the door, Anna waited until Vanessa said, "Come in."

With a quick sigh, Anna-Marie turned the knob and pushed the door open. As soon as she did so, her eyes met with Vanessa's, and Anna-Marie quickly saw a stiff discomfort take over Vanessa's face.

"Hi Vanessa, can I come in?" Anna-Marie inquired again, wanting to ensure that Vanessa wanted to speak with her.

Vanessa gulped. She blinked for a moment, before nodding carefully. Anna-Marie entered the room. She sent a quick look towards Xavier, who appeared to be asleep, then Anna-Marie made her way towards Vanessa's bedside. She sat carefully at the foot of the bed, Vanessa shifting her legs over just a bit to make more space. Anna took a moment to catch her breath before speaking. Her eyes avoided Vanessa for a moment, as she noted the different items around the room. Once she was able to calm the waves of butterflies which churned in her stomach, Anna was ready to speak.

"How are you feeling?" Anna-Marie asked, breaking the awkward silence that filled the air.
"I've had better days." Vanessa admitted.

Anna-Marie nodded. They fell silent again.

"So Listen-" "Anna-Marie look-"

Both ladies began to speak simultaneously. Then they looked at each other and giggled softly, only for a few seconds. Then the laughter died down, and both women shared a quiet sigh. 

"Sorry, go ahead." Vanessa said.
"I um, I brought you this." Anna-Marie offered Vanessa the small green flower.

Vanessa grabbed the clover. Her face falling, before her cheeks flushed.

"Yo- you remembered?" Vanessa said almost in a whisper, her eyes filling with liquid salt.
"I wanted to apologize, not just for what happened recently, but for long before that. I'm sorry for embarrassing you in school, and bullying you. It wasn't fair. And I'm sorry for rejecting you after Aisha showed up." Anna-Marie apologized, her cheeks wetting against her own will.

The future Luna wiped her eyes, sniffling, as she awaited for Vanessa to say something.

Anything.

Vanessa's face was frozen in a mixture of wonder, shock, nostalgia, and slight pain.

"Yo-" Vanessa sighed, the tears finally breaking way and showering her chest. Vanessa sniffled trying to catch her breath, as she shook her head softly. Her breath shuddered, her chest vibrating with every unstable breath. When she could finally breathe, Vanessa gulped, then drew in some air, to steady her voice. 
"You gave this to me a week before Aisha came. You swore that we would always be friends, and have each other's back." Vanessa recounted, her fingers twirling the small plant in her hand.
"Yep." Anna-Marie replied with a nod, unsure of what else to say.
"I get it Anna-Marie, Aisha is the daughter of Third in Command. It made sense for her to be your right hand. I would never fit into that picture." Vanessa said in reason.
"But it wasn't fair to you." Anna argued.
"That's okay Anna, really." Vanessa nodded, and Anna sighed, nodding as well.

The women sat quietly for a moment.

"You were right you know." Anna-Marie said, and Vanessa raised an eyebrow.
"About what?"
"Had I never had that pedestal removed from under my feet, I probably would've never understood what it's like to be looked at differently. But to think that I was the reason you had to grow through that for so long, I just..." Anna-Marie trailed off shaking her head before shrugging.
"Don't fret over it. It made me stronger. And Anna-Marie?" Vanessa called.
"Yeah."
"I forgive you." Vanessa said softly.