Chapter 19- "Sacrifice"

*Anna's pnt of view*

I stood at the cliff for a few moments, attempting to use the sudden quiet in the atmosphere to try and calm the numerous thoughts that flew about in my brain. There was a cool wind which blew my hair across my cheeks, and if I blinked, my eyes felt cold and dry. There was a subtle thrum of excitement still pulsing through my veins, but the adrenaline was slowly dying off. As I stood there above the cliff, and looked down at the colorful life and forest below, I just couldn't believe it.

I scoffed, and shook my head. My eyes suddenly filling with tears. The only question ringing in my mind is How?

I couldn't find it in my mind to understand how everything got so messed up to the point where a vampire could read me like an open book, and my best friend was now dying. I couldn't understand how manipulative people could be, and what hurt worse... it's the people you trust most and never expected to stab you in the back. That bitter thought sent a dry chuckle up my throat and out of my parted lips. I looked down and sniffled through moist nostrils as a result of the cold wind, and a ball of cool mucous ran down my throat. The birds had begun their chirping in the trees again, but the sound didn't cheer me up. I shook my head again and looked back and out on the forest below.

I had a headache climbing up the back of my neck and wrapping around my forehead. The stress. This feeling was pathetic. I didn't know why I was stressing myself out in the first place. Why was I questioning everything wrong in this world and everything wrong in my life at the moment, when the answer was obvious?

The answer is obvious.

This is all Joey's fault. Had he not been fooling around with Vanessa, we wouldn't be here in the first place. I thought Joey had grown up to be more mature than that, but turns out he was just another dude who couldn't keep it in his pants. It was all his fault. And yet no one gave me reason.

No one saw that I was right. This made me upset. A salty and sore lump formed in my throat, and my eyes filled with tears once again. I was innocent in all of this, and yet no one wanted to declare it so. I had nothing to do with this whole mess. I was the victim here. How could everyone not see that? I was the one who had been betrayed. I trusted Joseph. He was my first kiss, which ironically occurred here on this cliff. He proudly called himself my best friend, yet he was willing to betray our mate bond and years of friendship over a lie he was too quick to believe.

But no matter. I knew the truth. As far as I am concerned, my mind is at peace on this whole matter. I had already convinced myself that I don't have to deal with this ordeal or face anything. My hands were now clean.

Yes, I admit that I was in the wrong for not alerting my parents about Xavier crossing boundaries, and yes I did almost cause a war, but apparently Xavier had it out for my mom for a long time, and aunty Melanie swooped in to save the day just in time. The war which could've been my fault was averted, so now I am officially free of any burden. This felt good. This newfound freedom felt like a weight lifted off my shoulders. And in the case of Joey, from here on out, getting involved with him or anything that had to do with him would be a choice for me, not an obligation or because of the mate bond. And standing here, in the serenity of nature, I knew exactly what my choice was going to be.

I sighed in bliss. I was right, I was free. Now I could go home and face everyone without feeling guilty. With that thought in mind, I turned from the cliff and decided to head back home.

*Third Person's pnt. of View*

When Anna finally arrived at the clinic, it was chaotic.

Dr. Sarah and her team were already working to stabilize Joseph, who was in and out of consciousness. He kept murmuring under his breath, calling for the one person who was nowhere to be found. His mother cried silently, while being held in Kade's arms.