Chapter 43: Back To The Future

BACK TO THE FUTURE!

TRUNKS' DESTROYED TIMELINE

Once we returned to the Seventh Universe, it was a matter of waiting one more day until Bulma had finished fixing the time machine. During that time, Whis took me to visit Grand Zeno, in which I got a Zeno Button so to speak, in which one press would either bring me to Zeno or bring Zeno to me. After that was done, we were finally ready to head to the future.

IN THE TENTH UNIVERSE

Zamasu poured another cup of tea for his master. Recently, the two had begun viewing mortal activities, Gowasu wishing to restore Zamasu's faith in mortals, but it only pushed Zamasu's hatred further

Gowasu: You lack faith in mortals. Tell me why.

Zamasu didn't speak, placing the tea in front of his master

Gowasu: This tea is a mirror, pointed inward. If the soul of its maker is clouded, the tea will be as well. So, is it fear that clouds this cup? Or bewilderment? Speak.

Zamasu: Master Gowasu, you have said something often. To make mistakes often but learn from them, thus forging a better world. That is the essence of a mortal spirit.

Gowasu: Mmm.

Zamasu: But as far as I can see, mortals do not learn this way at all! Planet Babari is no outlier, Master! You've seen this countless times

Gowasu: Patience, Zamasu. Every seed needs time to grow.

Zamasu: Gardens are tended. Not just watched! Should a gardener not pluck the weeds? When I was invited here, I thought you would teach me divine justice. But all you seem to do is watch while those monsters stain existence with each other's blood!

Gowasu: Hmm... Zamasu, do you ever ponder the relationship between good, evil, and justice?

Zamasu: Yes. All the time. Evil is the great obstacle to good. And justice, the sword by which good can overcome the obstacle and flourish. 

Gowasu: That is one perspective. But I have come to view it this way: Justice is not a sword eradicating evil, but a scale keeping good and evil in balance.

Zamasu: Balance, master?

Gowasu: One can succumb to evil, but reject the darkness and rediscover the light with new understanding. Justice makes the journey possible. Evil informs good. And that is why we give the mortals their minds.

Zamasu's eye twitched

Zamasu: You give corruption too much credit. Evil does not inform good! It sullies it. Like the Babari sullied their world with violence. And that arrogant Y/N sullied this sacred ground by swinging his fists at a god. Mortals received the divine gift of intellect, the potential of wisdom, but they misuse it to destroy the beauty of creation. Mortals do not succumb to evil, they are evil. They create it, they spread it, with minds they should not possess. How can we call ourselves gods if we watch this blight and do nothing to stop it? 

Gowasu: Zamasu. You have a strong hunger for justice and that can be a great thing. But we must put temperance over righteousness. And guide lost children to the good path at a pace that seems slow for even us. Do not forget the true reason you have honed your fighting ability is to strengthen your mind for your journey toward enlightenment. Being gods does not make us perfect! We too must learn and mature over time.