› 29 〉

December 2012

My eyes jerk open. I role out of my bed, trying to stop my phone alarm from ringing before the entire house wakes up. Slowly rising up from the floor, I frighten by the shadow standing at my door. 

"School starts at 8 but you set your alarm for 5, why?"

My sister walks over to my bed and plops down. I grab my clothes out of my closet, watching how she gets comfortable in my bed.

"I have a test today. I want to study before"

"Still, 5am is early" She mumbles.

Changing into my uniform, I notice that Chaeyoung fell asleep. I quietly leave the room, passed my parents their bedroom, down the stairs. My dog, Luna, runs to me, begging me to feed her.

"Just be quiet. Everyone is sleeping" 

I grab some dog food out of the drawer and pour it in her little cup. Today is an important day. Our rankings are finally out meaning we can start applying to collages. I'm scared. My sister currently studies law just like our dad did. I want that too. Become a lawyer, have a boyfriend who's a rich CEO and go on dates at Han River.

Luna starts to sniff my shoes, making me jump out of my thoughts. 

"What's wrong?"

She elegantly walks towards the door, starting to scratch it.

"You can't go outside. Dad'll take you when-"

Someone knocks on the door. I frighten backwards a bit, making Luna startle too.

"Who's here so early.."

I open the door, looking around me. No one is here. Then, I notice a small box laying on the ground. I grab it and study it carefully. 

"Oh wow"

Opening it, I see a small necklace. It's a tiny music box in the form of a star. I twist it and put it close to my ear. A pretty, classical and calming sound can be heard. I wonder who it's from. My name is on it so it can't be for Chaeyoung.

I grab it out of the box and put it around my neck. 

Time skip

It's still dark. My big school looks intimidating this way. It used to be an old monastery too, making it even scarier sometimes. 

"You're here"

I turn around and smile relieved. My best friend shines his flashlight into my eyes.

"Fucking hell put that thing down"

"Sorry"

Hanseo lowers it to the ground. 

"Do you have it?"

I grab the keys out of my pocket. "Of course"

Together, we walk towards the school. I unlock it with the keys. Hanseo rushes towards the alarm system, pressing the code. The red light turns green, meaning the alarms are off. We sigh in relief and give each other an high five.

"We have exactly an hour before the cleaners arrive"

"Easy. We'll be done in less than 10 minutes"

We walk towards the teachers room. The door is open, luckily. Hanseo stands guard while I run towards the end of the room. I grab the keys again and unlock the closet. Looking through all the documents, I finally found it.