Epilogue

« ALWAYS »
~~~•~~~

The evening sun trailed a path through the kitchen, darting across the cabinets and stools that were tucked under the island counter.

Trees cascaded shadows onto the floor, a rhythmic sway in the small movements created by a light wind. The light hum of music that streamed through the house was accompanied by the smell of baked goods.

Talia held her breath for a moment. If she could show this moment to her eighteen year old self, she would never have believed it possible.

Home started out as word Talia could never imagine to hold a place in her life.

The word haunted her, teased her with promises left unfulfilled. It felt like a spectre was dangling a key in front of her to hold onto, but always just out of reach. To know what it meant, or the possibilities for what it could hold for her, were always an unknown. She thought it always would be.

Though, that was eighteen years ago, when she was so young and doubtful. Her world was filled with colour now; smiles and laughter were a constant fixture in her home.

Their home.

The dark blonde smiled wistfully. From where she was sat on the sofa, Talia could see the man who had helped her discover what home meant for her.

Dark curls brushed into his eyes as looked down at the kitchen counter, he occasionally brushed them away with a free hand that wasn't resting on the mixing bowl. When he did, she was able to see his brilliant blue eyes that seemed to glow in the sunlight under his thick lashes. He had chosen to grow his hair out over the years, along with letting a light five o'clock shadow appear along his jawline. Talia thought it had suited him and that was enough for him.

He looked at peace working in the kitchen. An apron was tied around at his waist that said 'kiss the cook' - a gift from Jace two Christmas' ago when the raven haired man had taken a liking to baking. He had grumbled about wearing it, but Talia knew he was secretly amused by it.

Watching as he raised his left arm behind his head, not missing a moment to admire his gorgeous bicep; a familiar glint caught her eye. Wrapped around his finger, a gold band rested, identical to the one Talia wore on hers. A constellation of stars for each of their family crests.

There are people who say how lucky you must be to marry your first love, and Talia knew it to be true.

Alec Lightwood was a once in a lifetime miracle, one she had waited twenty years to find and one she would happily wait twenty more years for if she had to.

As though he had heard her thoughts, Alec tilted his head to meet her eyes. A smile adorned his face, reaching up to his eyes with a light that she had only seen in moments like this, with his family.

A small hand reached down in front of his face. Alec grinned at Talia before looking up to meet two wide blue-green eyes staring into his own.

"Daddy you're not concentrating," The little girl pouted, rocking herself back from where she sat on her fathers broad shoulders, her small hands still wrapped in his hair.

Alec's hand wrapped around her back to hold her steady, "I'm sorry pumpkin, I was just looking at your beautiful mama over there."