Chapter 20

An early meeting meant a busy day ahead. Since, the secretary had to write notes first and then get started on all her routine. Moreover, the day did not come to a close soon, it was at its regular time or later. And this part is exactly what annoyed Anisha to no end!

Anisha's brain knew about all this yet it chose to annoy her. It was stuck on the morning's incidence. She chided it. It worked for a while and then stopped again! How annoying! Having had enough she peeked her head inside Abhimanyu's cabin.

" Abhi, I'm going downstairs to grab a small snack. Do you want something?"

" You still did not have your food! I specifically told you to not begin anything before eating and here we go." Now he was annoyed as well.

Just great.

" Abhi I'm sorry. I got carried away with work. But I'm going now." She clarified.

" You better." He interrupted.

" And would you mind grabbing a sandwitch for me?" He requested.

She smiled and nodded her head.

Although she had been working here for a month now, she had not visited the cafeteria downstairs, which was very surprising on her part.

She looked around at the ambience of the cafeteria and liked it immediately. It was not some rundown place in the corner. The entire floor was dedicated to it. There was a barista in the far corner and a counter in the centre, behind which one could get the glimpse of the kitchen.

When one of her colleagues had told her about the state of art like cafeteria, she was not joking! She had further added that one could go in there enjoy the ambience and even forget they are present in the company!

Having admired the cafeteria she quickly placed her order of two sandwiches, one to go, she added, and found a table alongside the window. Waiting there she admired the view and tried to ease her mind. She even debated between calling her Mummyji or not. Between all this she heard someone say her name. She turned at the counter but it did not seem like they were calling her. So she shrugged her shoulders and looked outside the window.

Again she heard her name. But this time she heard the entire sentence.

" Anisha, that's her name." Some girl had whispered.

Eavesdropping she tried to hear more.

" I wonder what did the boss see in her, yaar. I see her everyday. Every damn time they enter the office together. She is no match to him." Another girl added.

Now, Anisha had forgotten the office cafeteria was a spot for gossiping. But she was unaware that she was also the talk of the town. Who was she kidding! They gossiped about everybody. It was second nature to them.

But she was interested to know, what all did they speak about her.

" You know I was supposed to fill in the place of boss' secretary but he had to go and bring his wife to office! How unfair! And I'm more deserving than her!" Girl one fumed.

" I know yaar. When I first saw her I was like it could have been you. Did you even see the way she dresses? Terrible! She has no sense of fashion wearing those semi traditional outfits to office. Woman, where is your professionalism?" Girl two said.

Anisha quickly looked down at her clothes and saw a pretty kurti and matching leggings. She didn't see any problem with them. They were sophisticated clothes. Moreover, she had spotted many secretaries over business meetings wearing clothes similar to hers.

Anisha remembered the way she used to dress to her previous job. A business attire and sharp business look. What had changed? Her brain answered, " You and your confidence."

It was as if realisation dawned on her. Anisha  was here to get her mind off things and not get them loaded with unnecessary gossips. She had enough and made way to pay the bill. While the man on the counter made the bill, he asked for her name. To which she replied, " Anisha. Anisha MaanSingh." loud and clear.

Though there were a few people in the cafeteria. Her name grabbed their attention. So this was the boss' wife. The counter guy was struck and he quickly said, " Maam, you could have told us of your identity before hand we could have taken better care of yours."

" No, no it was all fine." She replied flustered.

" Thank you for visiting, Maam." He smiled at her.

She nodded her head and passed the table of the two girls who were gossiping about her. The two were now in sweats. If she had heard anything, the boss will not spare them.
His warnings rang in their head.

But it seemed she had not. Because she quietly entered the elevator and went back to her floor.

Anisha knocked on Abhimanyu's door and entered.

" Took you long enough." He chided.

" Sorry, I wanted some alone time."

Abhimanyu frowned but said nothing.

" Anisha, I think your work should be done by six. After that tonight you are telling me about the law entrance and how you plan on preparing."

" Abhimanyu, I don't think." Taking a deep breath she said, " I don't think I can manage office, ghar ( house) and preparations together. "

" Why do you say so? Is it because of this morning?" He frowned.

" Nahi...aisa nahi hai." ( Not like that.) She was quick to deny.

Abhimanyu sighed and said, " Tonight after dinner the first thing I'm doing is talk with my parents about this dilemma of yours and if we reach a solution, good. Else, you will have to choose a priority. And I want no arguments on this." Abhimanyu declared.

She nodded and left to her desk to continue the work.

' What priority was he talking about? And what is wrong with my dressing sense, do I not look professional?'