𝟶𝟷 - 𝚁𝚎𝚊𝚙𝚒𝚗𝚐

Song- Euphor by Novo Amor

Today was the day. The reaping for the 64th annual Hunger Games. My sister Annie is 12, and I'm 13. I was the head of the house, even if it was just the two of us. I braided Annie's hair into a French braid, then put it in a bun. Annie was wearing a blue denim dress that had small pockets and buttons down the front. I had my hair down with its natural waves and a white sundress that wrapped in the front.

Annie wore black boots with no heels, and I wore tan flats that I usually wore for beach walks. Annie was the only thing I had for a family now. Both of our parents drifted off to sea one day and never returned.

We were walking hand in hand when we saw the sign-in. I kissed her forehead. "Don't do anything stupid." I whispered. "I won't." She walked off ahead of me to sign in, and I walked to the older one.

"Next." One of the secretaries held out her gloved hand for me to put my finger in. I gave her it and winced at the slight pain. She placed my finger on the paper and checked my blood. "Go ahead." I nodded my head and walked forward when I felt a hand grasp mine.

I looked up to see Finnick, my best friend. He looked nervous. "You won't get picked. Don't worry, it's only our 2nd year."

"Yeah, I'm not worried about me." He looked at me with complete fear. "Please don't volunteer. If you die in the arena I wouldn't be able to forgive myself." I gave him a slight smile. "I wouldn't either."

He hugged me tightly before we both had to split to the female and male sides. I stood behind a few of my classmates as we watched the video from the Capitol. I looked over from our escort to Finnick, to find out he was already trying to meet my gaze.

"Happy Hunger Games," I mouthed to him with a slight laugh. "And may the odds be ever in your favor." He finished and laughed as well.

"Firstly, the ladies." Our escort announced. She walked over to the fishbowl of names and dropped her hand in. She dug threw the names to find the one that was calling her. I doubt any person would ever call to her, considering she was wearing an under-the-sea dress with platforms that were filled with live sea creatures. Her hair was up into a tight bun, dark blue that matched her eyeshadow and lipstick. Her liner winged out to her ears, and even her skin tone was a light blue shade.

Finally, she spotted it. She grabbed the paper and walked back to the microphone. She opened the paper and hesitated before saying with a great smile,

"Tess, Cresta!"

I felt myself nearly crying on the spot. But then I remembered the sponsors. I needed sponsors to win. I put on my best smile like I was proud to have this chance. I walked over to the podium and strutted next to the escort.

"How old are you darling?" she asked. I leaned towards the mic, "13." She looked impressed, then announced back to the crowd. "And now for the men."

I looked out to District 4, trying to find Annie and Finnick, my grin vanishing slowly. I found Annie near the back of the women's section. She was sobbing, hard, with a hand over her mouth. I looked at the men and saw Finnick, his mouth agape and a pair of tears running down his rosy cheeks.

I continued smiling even though I wanted so desperately to cry. I wanted to fall to my knees and hug Annie for the last time. I wanted Finnick to be there next to me, holding my hand as we both shed tears until we had a river. But I couldn't.

Our escort walked back to the mic with her second piece of paper and opened it."Our male tribute is,"

I had never experienced more confusion about my feelings in my life. I wanted it to be Finnick, but I also hoped to the lord it wouldn't be either.