𝟸𝟹 - 𝚀𝚞𝚊𝚛𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚀𝚞𝚎𝚕𝚕

Song- Home by Edith Whiskers

Finnick and I cuddled together on the couch, next to the TV screen while Annie was in her room. She stayed there all day. I could only drag her out for dinner, I had to bring her breakfast and lunch when I woke up.

"What year is it?"

I broke the silence. My hand and head were atop of Finn's chest. I could hear the slow, steady heartbeat he always had.

"75th. It's a Quarter Quell." Finnick stroked my hair.

"Lucky us. Maybe we'll be lucky and the card will prevent a reaping or game from happening." I closed my eyes, taking in the absolute comfort I felt. The only person I could be vulnerable around, it made me both mad and happy. I hated being vulnerable, but deep down I knew that I need Finn so much.

The Capitol's crest showed on the screen infront of us. We stayed in that same position, but our eyes were glued to the screen, and we didn't dare move as much as blink. Afraid that is moving would affect the words on the card for the 75th year.

"On the seventh-fifth anniversary, as a reminder to the rebels that even the strongest among them cannot overcome the power of the Capitol," Snow was shown in the Capitol, reading off the card that had the plot twist of this year's games.

My eyes never moved their gaze from Snow's snake like eyes. The smile he showed when he spoke, it made me disrespect him even more.

"the male and female tributes shall be reaped from their existing pool of victors."

My eyes widened a bit, and I could feel my lip quivering. My mind overcame with thoughts racing through at the speed of light, only for a second, and then my mind went blank.

I couldn't think. I couldn't hear. I couldn't see. My sight was overcome by tears that pooled and flooded my eyes.

~Finnick's POV~

When Snow announced that we would be reaped for the 75th Hunger Games, my heart shattered. My breath picked up, and I looked down to Tess. She looked dead. Her eyes didn't move, she wasn't blinking, I didn't even know if she was breathing. The only thing that moved was her lips, they were shaking.

"AHHHHHHHH!"

I heard Annie upstairs yell at the scream. Crashing was heard and I had to go upstairs and leave Tess. I sat her up, and rushed upstairs.

I knocked on the door. "Annie?"

I could hear her sobs but not the words she whispered to herself often.

"Go away. I didn't hurt myself. Go help Tessie." Her voice was stern even though it broke many times. I walked back downstairs and back to the couch we were laying on.

"Tessa." My voice quivered. She was still where I left her. Her face was so empty, expressionless. The only emotion she showed were the tears that wouldn't stop falling.

"Tess," I kneeled infront of her. My hands went to her face, cupping her wet, hot cheeks.

"Tessa please."

~Tess's POV~

I sat close to the water, feeling the cold waves lap my feet. A voice spoke from behind me. A voice I haven't heard in a long time.

"Hey there, birdie."

I looked behind me, my father was there, smiling brightly.

He came and sat next to me, and wrapped an arm around my shoulder.

"You're all grown up now, birdie. Tell me how old you are, I've lost count of the years." He looked out onto the horizon. Some of the sea rocks forming up from the deep blue.

"24, dad." He shook his head. "No, you can't be that old. You're just my little girl." He looked in my eyes. I smiled. I missed these times when we would come out and sit by the water.

"I hope you're taking care of Annie. Just like you promised me." I nodded. "Yeah, just like I said." His free hand moving to my hair and my face, patting it gently.

"You've been so brave, birdie. Your mom and I are so proud." His voice shook. "We both hope to see you soon." Realization hit me.

"Wait! Please don't go! No!" My father disappeared, and I was brought back to reality.

Finnick infront of me, looking at me like I was a wounded puppy.

~Finnick's POV~

Her eyes moved downward to meet my desperate ones.

"I-I saw him." Her soft voice shook and cracked. I wiped her tears to the best of my ability, as I could see her start to regain conscious control.

I pulled her into a hug, and we both just held on tight to each other.

"I never want to leave. I want to stay here forever." She breathed in deep, and exhaled. We were back in the position before Snow's announcement.

"Let's make this last. We still have a couple days." We stayed there for another few hours.

~Tess's POV~

I went upstairs a couple hours before the reaping. I knocked quietly on Annie's bedroom door.

"I know you want to see me." I whispered.

"Doesn't mean I need to." She responded a few moments after.

"You have to come out in a few hours anyway. Just let me in so I can help you." I began to grow impatient.

"No I don't. Let them come and kill me."

Her statement triggered something in my brain that I didn't feel like fighting. I stormed downstairs and ran out the door. I don't care what Finnick or anyone thought of me, I just needed the beach. I needed the sound of the waves, the warm glare of the sun, and the sand between my feet.

I was already dressed for the reaping, so it's not like I needed to be anywhere. I stayed still until I heard commotion from the rest of the houses. I made my way to the Justice Building, and saw Finnick and Annie walking. I joined them, as we were guarded by peacekeepers. I wore a simple red sundress, that had sleeves off my shoulders. My sandal wedges giving me an extra height. We walked to the Justice Building and we divided into male and female groups.

Nadiyah greeted me with a smile, as she started the opening to the reaping.

Word Count
{1057}