(46) Risk and Reward

"I don't see anything." Derek said when Scott showed him Lydia and Allison's bruises.

"Look again." Scott told him.

"How is a bruise gonna tell me where Erica and Boyd are?" Derek asked.

"It's the same on both sides." Alex said.

"Exactly the same." Scott continued.

"It's nothing." Derek told him.

"Pareidolia. Seeing patterns that aren't there." Lydia said and the boys looked at each other confused.

"It's a subset of apophenia." Alex told them.

"They're trying to help." Scott said to the Alpha who raised his brows.

"These two?" Derek said gesturing to Allison and Lydia.

"This one, who used me to resurrect my psychotic uncle. Thank you." Derek said pointing to Lydia. "And this one, who shot about 30 arrows into me and my pack." He said pointing to Allison, before turning to Alex. "She's okay though."

Alex nodded at him and he nodded back.

"Okay, all right, now come on." Stiles contributed to the conversation. "No one died, all right? Look, there may have been a little maiming, okay, a little mangling, but no death. That's what I call an important distinction."

"My mother died." Allison said, the comment directed at Derek.

"Your family's little honour code killed your mother. Not me." Derek said, and Alex couldn't help but agree.

"That girl was looking for Scott. I'm here to help him, not you." She told him.

"You wanna help? Find something real." Derek told her before heading for the door.

Scott stopped him.

"Give her a chance. Okay, they're on our side now." Scott told him.

"Well, then maybe you should tell her what her mother was actually trying to do that night." Derek said and Scott sighed as he left.

§{~}§

"Okay, what would a pack of Alphas want with Erica and Boyd?" Stiles asked as the trio walked under the bridge by the football and lacrosse fields.

"I'm not sure it's them they want." Scott said.

"What? Like Derek? You think they might want to recruit him?" Alex asked and Scott suddenly stopped looking back at something, or someone.

"Hey, Scott." Stiles called out to him, snapped him out of his trance. "You coming?"

Scott looked back for a second before continuing to walk without a second word.

§{~}§

"The stock market is based on two principles." Coach Finstock said when the trip were in economics. "What are they?"

Scott raised his hand.

"Yes, McCall, you can go to the bathroom. Anybody else?" Coach said.

"No, coach, I know the answer." Scott told him and coach started wheezing before he laughed.

"Oh, you're serious." He said as he stopped laughing and realised Scott wasn't kidding.

"Yes. Risk and reward." Scott told him.

"Wow! Who are you? And what have you done to McCall?" He asked the werewolf who chuckled. "Don't answer that. I like you better. I like you better."