Chapter 1

Pure perfection, he was.

With casades of golden curls framing his high cheekbones, sparkling like the finest gold there was. It was impossible to miss the heavenly green eyes that stared back from the godly beauty called his face. The corners of his michelangelo mouth were pulled up in a dazzling smile, revealing a row of teeth so white that it blinded. Then a frown suddenly creased his forehead and his long eyelashes soon followed, fluttering in irritation. “Where’s my hairbrush?” Leo snapped in a high pitched voice.

Confusion was the only thing I felt next, because for the death of me, I could not figure out why  the most goregous guy in the school had the same voice as my sister?

My eyes snapped open immediately, and I glanced around the room, searching for any sign of his existence. “Where is my hairbrush?” Fern demanded hovering over my bedside.

I groaned and massaged my temples, “you just had to ruin it, didn’t you? The only time I could dream about him! It’s in my first drawer.” I sighed and pulled my blanket over my head in determination. My older sister shuffled around loudly before she stomped out of the room with a snort nevermind a thank you. 

 “Come back! Come back!” I commanded him. He didn’t. I spent the next five minutes in deep concentration, but the only thing I saw; was Fern’s unpleasant face.

Opening my eyes I grimaced as I saw her hovering over me again. “You’re late!” She sneered. 

Unwillingly, I staggered out of the bed and glared at her, “karma! Karma will get you!” I snapped viciously. Pulling on a purple sweat shirt and straight legged jeans, I scrounged around my drawers for the hairbrush. That’s right! She took it. I strode into Fern’s room without the basic courtesy of knocking, my older sister was making out with her boyfriend of two years anyway. Ignoring their apparent display of affection to each other, I took the hairbrush and departed hastily.

 “Honey, pass me the milk.” Mum asked dad.

“Hailey.” Dad said to me.

“Mmhmm,” I nodded, passing the milk to mum.

On the other side of the table, Fern rolled her eyes. Tom was nowhere to be seen. I imagined he was probably leaving from her window right now. Ever since mum was caught cheating on dad with attorney Jim, dad had being like this. Ignoring her and completely not acknowledging her existence. Fern thought this whole cold shoulder act was stupid. But beneath it all, I could see that dad was hurting too. Even though his eyes were ice cold every time they met our mother’s, I could still see the infinite sea of sadness behind them. He was hurt, and like any human being he needed time to heal. 

“I’m off.” I declared, hopping up and grabbing my keys on the island. 

”I’m not finished!” Fern whined, cutting her lone pancake into a hundred pieces.

“I would be as old as grandma when you finally finish all that.” I replied flatly, gesturing to her occupied plate.

Walking out the door, I heard her scream. “Okay, I’m coming! I swear if you drive off like you did last time....” I turned on the engine in response.

“Okay!” Fern cried, appearing outside in a short skirt and a thin tee, all the while, clutching her heels, a light jacket and her handbag. Glaring at me, she sat in the back seat, pulling on her sorry excuse of a jacket and those sky scraper heels.

“You don’t need to kill yourself just to go to school you know....” I told her calmly.

“Ha ha ha.” Fern replied humourlessly. Stretching her arms, she positioned herself comfortably, “are you going to drive?” She snapped at me. I sighed and backed out of the driveway.

 For some reason, Fern had this delusional fantasy that sitting in the backseat automatically meant she was the princess, and I, the driver! Personally, I thought she watched too much princess movies, but telling her that would result to my head being snapped off, so I kept quiet. In the rear view mirror, she gave me a smug smile; I returned the favour with a weak grimace and an ounce of pity. If only she knew what I was thinking. Glancing at the time, I gasped. We were running late! Desperately my foot smashed the gas pedal. 

 5 minutes later*

Fern slumped out of the car as gracefully as she could manage, “you...” She started vomiting.

“Woman, stay away from my car.” I ushered her to the grass. With three minutes to spare, I stroked my ancient station wagon in affection.

”You did well.” I smiled. “Look at the time! I have to go.” I yelled to the familiar bent figure by the bush.

“You bitch!” My sister swore, wiping her mouth with a couple of tissues. “Karma, sister. It’s all Karma!” I grinned widely, adjusting my bag straps.

”News flash, you don’t just create Karma!” She yelled at my retreating back.

And that’s what you get from being a princess, I thought.

That was the last thing that crossed my mind because I almost forgot how to breathe when a sudden grace appeared in front of me, making me freeze.

 It was Leo Gallagher, the boy from my dreams.

My idol.

The person who was so close, yet at the same time, so far away. He was like the world’s most expensive diamond, having lots of admirers, but being so rare, only a few could afford.

My jaw was probably hanging open as I openly gaped at him, and my eyes? They followed his every movement, even when he accidentally stood on some foul smelling dog poop, then asked his friend to wipe it off for him.

His friend paled and I knew that given any other person, he would've probably asked them to stuff their request where the sun don't shine, but seeing as it was Leo, the boy just nodded meekly. 

The bell shattered the beautiful moment and at that second, Leo glanced over and he smiled at me. I almost died from shock. 

“Look at you, standing there dribbling like an idiot! What’s the rush? You’re late anyway.”Fern snarled, tottering past me in her ridiculously high heels. His smile was definitely worth being late, I thought to myself dreamily.

“You smell putrid.” I shouted, an afterthought to her. A few metres in front of me, she shrieked and scrambled to the toilets, as quick as her pencil thin legs would take her.