Chapter 14

I walked straight into a hard wall, then realisation dawned on me; it was Leo Gallagher who I had bumped into. He grabbed me by the wrist and dragged me inside; locking the door behind him. Upon turning around to face me, there was a wrathful fire in his green eyes.

“What?” I asked him uneasily.

“Why did you go out with him?” Leo spoke each word torturing slow.

“It’s none of your business, who I go out with!” I snapped back testily, slipping out of my red converses.

“Did I not tell you not to see him again? I thought I made it pretty clear!” Leo Gallagher roared, pacing around the room in fury.

My heart beat angrily against my chest. He was acting like we were a married couple, what was his deal? I wasn’t cheating on my husband or boyfriend or anything; I was just going out to the movies with a friend!

But he wasn’t finished either. Giving me a death glare he continued;

“Watching you blush when he kissed you on the cheek was so repulsing, I nearly had to vomit. Did you not read the contract properly? Would it kill you to be a little more conscious?” He hissed, venom dripping from his every word.

Blood rushed to my face in shame, he saw that? My pride just got smashed by a hammer. Wait a minute....How could he have known, unless he was there?

I gave him a questioning look and his face visibly paled.

“How would you know that he kissed me on the cheek?” I demanded, sitting up straighter.

“I asked one of my staff to follow you when you went out,” Leo lied unsuccessfully.

“And why would you feel revolted from watching me blush, if your staff was the one who tailed me?” I raised my eyebrows.

Leo Gallagher opened his mouth briefly, then abruptly closed it. He was caught red-handed, and he knew it.

 Fire billowed within me, threatening to explode; “what and why were you following me for?” I snarled wrathfully.

“Why do you care about who I go out with? What is it to you? Do you like me?” I snapped at him, hating myself for even being hopeful.

There was a moment of silence, and I could only hear my heart beating loudly, anticipating for his response. But from the moment he opened his mouth again, dread spammed through me in waves, and all seeds of hope were immediately destroyed.

“Not in a million years.” He replied, then simply let himself out.

***

Leo Gallagher’s point of view

I strode into my own bedroom, my head racing. The problem was I didn’t even know why.

Her hopeful eyes were biting painfully at my conscience every second, and my heart was heavy with guilt. I never even knew I had that emotion, until Hailey Aries came along.

 I turned on the fifty inch plasma in frustration, trying to focus on the soccer game but it didn’t work. I somehow knew that I had disappointed her expectations, and that fact was threatening to tear me up inside. Why should I care how she felt? She was nobody to me! She herself, made that point clear.

But then why did I follow her to the cinema, disguising myself and forcing myself to watch that stupid movie? Why did I keep my eyes focused on her head, the whole time inside the cinema?

Why was I worried whenever that bastard was near her side? Why did her last question catch me by surprise? And lastly, why does my pride always come second when it comes down to her?

What kind of person was I becoming? I was changing in front of my very eyes. Hailey Aries shouldn’t be making me feel like this. I was convinced that I was not having feelings for her; just a strong sense of responsibility, my true nature.

For the sake of my sanity, I would avoid her, as much as possible. And when the contract ended, I would let her go with no more ties.

***

I lay in my bed, gazing unseeingly at the ceiling. My emotions were a complete mess at the moment. I had a lot of questions unanswered, but his last response was repeating continuously in my mind, digging ruthlessly at the wound on my heart.

There was not a lot of people who could succeed in making me feel this way; I never cared what the other people thought. They could stuff their opinions up their other end for all that mattered, but with Leo Gallagher; his insults seemed to rile me up constantly.

I got agitated, angry and unstable when I was near him. It was like I was a time bomb, ready to explode at any given moment. As a pessimistic person, I even hoped for the impossible today, his rejection was expected but it still hurt nonetheless.

I knew Leo loathed Cameron with a passion, but even following me to the cinema? I tried to bite back the smile forming on my face. Regardless of his ruthless response, actions spoke louder than words; and as of right now, he obviously cared enough to look out for me. And that fact alone made my insides burst into happiness.

***

I awoke the next day energetically, my whole body was charged with power. I felt like a young female fan about to see Justin Bieber live. But my excitement was short-lived when I saw the empty seat at the table, my mood soured almost instantly; “where’s Leo?” I asked the maid curiously.

“Young master has already eaten breakfast, he also told me to inform you, that from today onwards he will be eating breakfast alone in the second kitchen.” She added apologetically.

I wanted to wipe that sympathetic expression off her face; I didn’t need to be pitied. “It’s fine.” I told her calmly, retaining my dignity.

“Young master also told me to inform you that from today onwards you will have your own car to drive to school, so you will no longer need to catch a ride with him.” The maid continued, rubbing more salt into the wound.

I may have just lost my appetite; “let’s see the car then.” I demanded furiously.

The maid took me outside to the driveway, and a shiny white mini cooper was parked directly in front of the main entrance, its gleaming white exterior blinding me mercilessly from the sunlight. I took no notice of the brand new car facing me; my mind was already occupied. Why on earth was Leo Gallagher avoiding me?

Short chapter, I know but hey, I'm a slow writer. I'm doing quality over quantity at the moment. Enjoy.

Vote or comment if you liked it.