chapter 9

“Hey,” I began.

He walked straight past coldly, without sparing me a second glance.

What the heck was his problem?

I followed him inside; unfortunately we both had Philosophy class together. Sigh....and it used to be my favourite subject too....

“Mr Gallagher, Ms Aries.” The professor nodded promptly as we entered.

Silently, Leo took a seat near the back with his popular friends. I was about to claim the seat at the front by myself when a hand pulled me back. I glanced at Leo Gallagher’s face in bewilderment, but his face was void of any expressions. I tried to tug my hand away, but he was too strong. Unwillingly I let him drag me down the classroom to where all the popular jocks and cheerleaders sat,

 “what are you doing?” I hissed at him. The people from that social group never liked me; my sarcastic attitude and ignorant personality was too much for them to stand. I prepared myself for the usual glares and whispers, but there was none. I blinked in disbelief.

“You guys don’t mind if Hailey joins us, right?” Leo Gallagher cleared his throat.

What??? I gave him an incredulous look, which he pretended he didn’t see. “What the hell?” I snapped. I received no response again. In a desperate attempt to gain his attention, I stomped hard on his foot.

“F***” Leo Gallagher swore from the pain, shooting me a venomous look.

Finally, a reaction from the emotionless statue!

The awkward silence between the social disaster (me) and his friends suddenly disappeared, they were all howling in laughter now, and even poker face Darlene Summers was trying hard to suppress a giggle that was threatening to escape her tight lips.

“What?” I asked innocently. They laughed even harder.

“You are the first person who even dared to step on Leo Gallagher’s precious feet.” One guy managed to splutter through the laughter contaminating him.

“$500, that’s how much my shoes cost, also Feet therapist fees, which is another $200. The total of seven hundred dollars will be deducted from your account by tonight.” Leo murmured, gritting his teeth.

That calculative Jerk! And a foot Therapist? I let out a condemning snort.

“Since your shoes are ruined anyway, it doesn’t matter if I do this then,” I shouted, treading on his feet innocently. “Hailey Aries you,” Leo Gallagher started to yell....

“I have to admire your guts!” Darlene Summers said, looking at me approvingly.

“Thanks.”I smiled at her.

 “Listen, Jackson is having a party at his house this Friday, do you want to come?” Darlene invited me eagerly.

I shook my head immediately, “I’m not very good with parties, so -” 

“What she means, is we’ll go.” Leo Gallagher interrupted me suddenly.

“Perfect. See you then.” Darlene smiled, walking away and winking indiscreetly at us. “I’m not going.” I told him firmly.

“Look, to be my girlfriend, you obviously have to step up a rank and join my social group. How can I date a girl who sits by herself every lunch time under a tree?” He demanded in a hushed tone.

 He noticed? My heart skipped a beat in surprise.

“I agreed to be your girlfriend, not to change myself.” I snapped back at him.