Chapter 27

YOU GUYS ROCK!!!! =D LOVE YOU FOR LEAVING THE COMMENTS AND FOR VOTING!!!! =D 

HERES ANOTHER CHAPTER FOR YOU, AND FEAR NOT, I PROMISE I'LL UPLOAD THE OTHER ONE IN LESS THAN 5 DAYS!!!! =)

Pulling the key out of the ignition, I hopped out of the Mini Cooper wearily; I would give the car back to him, tomorrow.

A weak smile made its way to my face when I saw the familiar brick building stand before me.

I never realised how much I missed my home until now. Pressing the doorbell, I waited for someone to let me in. My eyes scanned the neighbourhood attentively, and I found myself unconsciously evaluate their houses, they were dog kennels compared to Leo’s mansion.

When the door finally flew open, my mother was the one who appeared on the other side; “Hailey!” She gasped in surprise.

Stepping aside, she let me into the house. Perhaps it was a mother’s intuition, because from the moment I walked inside, a worried expression had immediately painted itself on her face. “What’s wrong, dear?” She hustled, once we were comfortably seated on the sofas.

“Nothing,” I lied, but we both knew it wasn’t nothing. 

“Oh Honey, it’s about him, isn’t it?” She guessed with alarming accuracy.

I swallowed the lump building up my throat, and furiously blinked back the tears; “mum, I think I really like him.” I whimpered.

She placed a comforting hand on my back, and brushed away the lone strands of hair that was shielding my distraught looking face. “Tell me everything.” She commanded firmly.

My mother’s finely shaped eyebrows had pulled together in a bewildered expression by the time I had finished; “Oh Hailey,” she sighed, rubbing my back in a consoling manner.

“I’ve really hurt him, mum.” I sobbed in her arms.

It was just us two in the house; dad was out playing golf with a few colleagues, while Fern had gone to the mall with her followers.

“Don’t blame yourself dear, I have to say; that boy’s behaviour is atrocious! To think my precious suffered so much because of him!” She scowled.

I had come clean with everything, and that included the contract. The deal was over now, I was sure, since he broke off our fake relationship in front of the whole school. Whether I was responsible for that, I did not know, but whatever we had between us was over; whatever that was.

Subsequently the doorbell rang; my mother shot me an apologetic glance, then she sprinted to the door.

A delicious smell wafted into the lounge, and I remembered that she was baking cookies before I arrived. Running to the kitchen; I found the oven beeping like a fire alarm.

After turning the timer off, I peered at the freshly baked cookies.

Large chunks of chocolate prodded above the soft brown dough; looking so appetizing that even my mouth was beginning to water. A sudden vicious hunger engulfed me, and I felt the sweet morsels call out to me like a lethal melody. Picking up a biscuit, I shoved it into my mouth; the taste was indescribable.

The flavours had instantly exploded on my taste buds, transporting me to a delusional heaven of sugary goodness. Eventually, I found myself succumbing under the wrath of the mouth-watering cookies, and I started to stuff my mouth full; momentarily forgetting about everything that mattered.

A sharp cough interrupted my naughty little affair; and I turned around to see Rebecca standing in my kitchen doorway.

My mouth was overflowing with biscuit crumbs, and I was sure there were also chocolate stains around my lips; all in all, I knew I looked like a complete disgrace.