~ Chapter Twenty-Three ~

Chris

"Ma!" I hollered as I walked in the house.

Its been a couple months since I been down here to see her so I thought I'd surprise her.

"We're in the kitchen" she said out loud.

We're? I hope she in there cooking some food. A nigga is hungry.

"Heyyyy mom-" I stopped mid sentence and my whole demeanor changed.

She was sitting at the table sipping tea from a mug, with her no good of a husband that I don't give a damn about. He not even important enough for me to explain who he is.

All there is to know about him is that he get on my nerves everytime I see him. He seems too fuckin controlling to my momma and that shit be pissing me off. At first it wasn't like that tho, he was cool but not hang out, you my new pops cool. After they got married or whatever I just tried to be cool because for some reason my mother loved his ass.

"Hey momma" I kissed her cheek "what you cooking?" I went over to the stove where there was pots and pans on the stove.

"Boy get away from stove" she came over swatting me away.

"What you doing here anyway?" She asked stirring what looks to be mashed potatoes.

"Damn I can't come see my momma." I said

Just because her little nigga here don't mean I can't come chill with my momma. What she thought this was.

"You can, you're always welcomed sweetie. You hungry?" She asked.

I smiled like hell when she asked that "you know me so well momma."

"Mhm" she leaned closer to me "are you going to say anything to him?"

I looked at her like she should know the answer and she gave me a pleading look.

"How you doing Harold?" I asked still facing my momma.

"I'm doing just fine. How you doing son?" He asked

"I'm not your son. But I'm doing alright" I gave him a sarcastic tight lip smile.

"Ma, I'll be back in about an hour. Ima go holla at my baby."

"I hope you're referring to my future daughter-in-law Naomi." She said

I gave her a look. Marriage is not anywhere near close I tell you that. I ain't one to be tied down just yet. I mean I kinda am now but not legally I put it that way.

"You know chris marriage isn't bad at all, you just-"

"Ian ask you about marriage did I Harold?....nah ian think so" I said and walked out the house.

I got in my car and pulled off.

"Who the fuck asked him for any kind of advice. Ole Berry White looking motherfucker." I said to myself.

I'm telling yall ima hurt this nigga before the night over with.

About fifteen minutes later I pulled up to mayah's parent's house because that's where she told me she was going tonight.

After parking in the driveway I got out and rung the doorbell.

As I waited I hummed a tune until the door opened. It was her dad, Mr. James.

"Hey, how you doing Mr. J?" I asked as I walked inside.

"I'm good Chris. How you been doing son?" He closed the door and we both walked into the den he was in.