chapter 69. the rebellion.

"Hey. All settled in?" Korkie asks me as I walk into the cockpit of his ship and take a seat in the copilot's chair.
"Yeah. Thanks again for taking me in."
"I'm more than happy to do it. Believe me, it's been pretty boring, traveling the galaxy alone. It's nice to have some company."
"At least you got to do some of the traveling that you've always said you wanted to do, right?"
"Heh, yeah, I guess. I can't believe you remember that. How old were we then, when we first met, 15?"
I laugh softly. "Yeah. I had just turned 15."
"That's unbelievable, to think that was so long ago. It all seemed so simple back then."
"Oh, how times have changed. Now we're 18 and running from a corrupt government instead of facing it head-on."
"Well, when you put it like that, we sound terrible!"
"But isn't it true?"
"Not with context, it isn't. We're running from the corrupt government because they unjustly accused an entire group of people of being treasonous. Even though they did nothing. That's genocide."
"But that only explains why I'm running. Not you."
"I'm running because the person I care about most was one of those people, and I want to help that person."
"...You mean that, Korkie?"
"Sure I do." He gives me an assuring smile and nod, before changing the subject. "But speaking of running from the government... I've been in contact with an old friend of Satine's. He makes it seem like maybe... maybe we don't have to run anymore."
"Yeah, right, maybe not you, but for me? There's nothing else I can do. Is there?"
"If Satine ever taught me one thing, it's that you must stand up for what you believe is right, even if it's unpopular. You've never been one to run away from a fight... why should you start now?"
Well... I know he's right. It's dangerous, I know, but they already know I'm still alive. They're already hunting for me. My worry is the people I know for a fact that I have left to lose—Obi-Wan, Luke, and Korkie. Everyone else is a mystery. But those three... I know I'd die for them if I had to, but what if they end up having to die for me? I don't think I'd be able to live with myself.
I sigh. "Let's just hear what this friend has to say. We still don't know what we could be getting ourselves into."

"Coming up on Alderaan."
I watch as Korkie pilots the ship out of hyperspace as we approach the planet Alderaan. As we enter the atmosphere, the sunset shines on the snow-capped mountains and the tall city buildings.
"Wow," I sigh. "It's no wonder the entire galaxy calls this 'the planet of beauty'."
"Have you never been here?" Korkie asks me.
I shake my head. "No, I haven't. There weren't really any battles here during the war."
"That would be because the Alderaanians hold their pacifist values very dear. Even in times of conflict, like the Clone Wars, they shunned weapons."
"Like Mandalore?"
Korkie shrugs. "Somewhat. While Mandalore was technically a part of the Republic, seeing as we still had senators and all, we declared neutrality during the war in order to avoid the violent conflict. Alderaan, however, sided with the Republic during the war, though they did do what they could to de-escalate the conflict and find a peaceful solution. Satine always believed that war was absolutely intolerable, no matter what. She wanted no part of it." Korkie pauses for a moment. "I came here a few times when I was little. Satine always enjoyed it here, since it's peaceful. It was one of the few planets I had really ever gotten to visit. Alderaan, Coruscant, and Naboo. Those were the only three. But that was before the end of the war, of course."
"Have you been back to Alderaan since then?"
"Yes, quite a few times. To talk to Satine's friend."
"Do you know them well?"
"Yes, I do. And I believe you know him as well." Korkie lands the ship onto the landing pad, outside of a palace. "We won't be needing our helmets. Or weapons."
"But Korkie, what if the Empire—?"
"They won't. We're safe here, he won't let them find us." The two of us stand and begin to exit the ship.
"How can you be so sure?" I question as we walk down the ramp.
Korkie stops us at the bottom, placing his hand on my shoulder and looking me dead in the eye. "Because he's already saved you once. Now please, Arlo, trust me."
"Hello, Korkie," someone greets. I look over to see Senator Organa. He gives me a welcoming smile.
"Bail. It's good to see you," Korkie replies. "And, well, you know Arlo."
"I do. It's a pleasure to see you again and well, Master Just," he says to me with a short bow.
"...Master?"
He chuckles at me. "Well, you are a Jedi Knight now, aren't you?"
I reach behind my ear, where my padawan braid used to be, only to feel nothing. "Heh. Yeah, I guess I forgot about that."
He laughs once again. "Understandably so. Please, follow me inside." I nod in thanks as I walk beside him, Korkie behind the two of us.
"So, how have you been, Senator?"
"Please, Bail is fine. I've been well, thank you. And you?"
"About as well as I can be, considering the, uh... circumstances. How about... well, is Leia doing all right?"
Bail smiles. "She's wonderful, actually. She just turned one, what was it, a little over a week ago now? We're actually having something of a party for her tonight, except..." He pauses. "Korkie, would you mind giving me and Master Just a moment to speak in private?"
Korkie nods. "Certainly. Are Breha and Leia around?"
"Yes, they should be. They're probably in Leia's room," Bail answers.
"All right. I suppose I'll go say hello to them, if that's okay?"
"I'm sure they will be happy to see you," Bail tells him. With that, Korkie gives me an assuring look, then walks away. "Follow me, Master Just. We can speak in my office. These are important matters, confidential at that, and I'm sure you know how things are these days. If you let one wrong word slip..."
"...The Empire's out for you?" I finish.
"Precisely." He opens the door to his office and lets me in before continuing. "And I intend on staying on their 'good' side, which isn't necessarily good to begin with, solely for the purpose for my rebellion to stay discreet while it grows."
"A... rebellion?" I question as I take a seat in one of the chairs.
Bail sits at his desk with an affirmative nod. "Yes. A rebellion. An alliance that wants to restore the Republic. Formed by myself, along with other secretly dissident members of the Imperial Senate. Most you may recognize from your days as a Padawan."
"Is that all it is? You and a few senators?"
"Along with some other small rebel cells throughout the galaxy. Like I said, we're growing. When Korkie first mentioned looking for you, it had gotten me thinking... would you consider joining?"
"So Korkie knows about all of this as well?"
"Of course he does. He told me he would join, but only after he found you, and that you were his first priority."
"But you knew where I was hidden. You still didn't tell him?"
"I couldn't. It would have put Master Kenobi, as well as Luke, at risk. I knew that."
"And I'm so glad you did. Thank you, Senator. So much. It's a relief to know we put our trust in the right person when we went into hiding."
"Of course, Master Just. Though I can't say I didn't do anything. As soon as one of my associates on Corellia told me that a Jedi had been tracked down there from Tatooine, one that had been seen with a distinct gold lightsaber, I immediately got him into contact with Korkie."
"Ah, pulling the strings, then. Clever. Well, I am glad that he found me."
"As am I."
"But as for your offer... I agree with your sentiments, I truly do, but it's just so risky. It would be different if I had no one left to lose, no one I had to keep safe, because—"
"I understand that, Master Just. But consider the fact that this will help keep them safe. You can actively fight against the people trying to hurt them." He sighs deeply before continuing. "I don't want to come across as pushy, but I want to be truthful with you—you can't hide anymore. They know you're alive, and they will hunt you down. They probably are at this very second. Believe me, they will always find you, wherever you go. Running will do you no good anymore. But taking a stand will. Not only for you, but for the rest of the galaxy as well. Korkie has been running from the Imperials for a while now. You've been hiding, and now you're running, too. You're both tired of it, that much I can tell. So why let them make you live that way? I'll tell you what—Leia's 'party' is more like a gala, for rebellion leaders to discuss, well, the rebellion. We're just playing it off as a birthday party in order to get the Empire to not think much of it. There will be lots of important people, all a part of the rebellion... except for one. I've received word from a reliable source that an Imperial spy will be attending our gala tonight, disguised as a guest."
"So what's your proposal?"
"Join my rebellion and find this spy. Then I will get you into contact with an informant who can provide you with intelligence that can help you protect your master, as well as Luke."
"Who's this 'informant'?"
"Does the code name 'Fulcrum' ring a bell to you?"
"...I'm in."

"Kriffing hell," I mutter to myself as I look into the mirror in the bathroom of the bedroom that the Organa's lended to me. I stare while smoothing down the front of my dress. Actually, the dress is the problem to begin with.
It's flattering, don't get me wrong, and I look... decent, actually. But kriff, it's such an uncomfortable change from my typical clothing. The silver, tulle fabric of the dress is accented with a lace bodice. A slit in the gown reveals only my right leg, allowing easy access to my lightsaber, attached by a strap to my thigh. Laced straps rest atop my shoulders that drop down into a v-neck, though it covers plenty of what actually needs to be covered. No, the problem is the scars, all of which are so obviously revealed with this stupid dress.
I look at the white scar on my left bicep from Mortis, then turn and glance over my shoulder to look at the small, littered scars across my back from Zygerria, uncovered by my hair, which is let down from its usual ponytail. Finally, my fingers graze across the scar left by Maul, which has been put on full display with this dress. The way it cuts from my right cheek, across my neck, through the center of my chest, continuing on to where it's covered by the dress... it looks unnatural.
But then I look at my left arm again, and smile when I see the black ink etched permanently into my skin. 212. My happy scar.
Maybe it all looks weird and wrong, but it's me.
I brush a quick hand through my hair, just to be sure all of the tangles are out, then place a headpiece atop my hair. A simple, silver laurel wreath.
Before I leave, I take one last look at myself and smooth down the front of my dress once more.
This will do nicely.

so i decided to split this chapter into two parts, originally this part was not going to be as long but then i decided to add more dialogue between arlo and korkie at the beginning and i kinda went overboard. and speaking of arlo and korkie, i finally figured out who i think they look like while i was watching divergent. hear me out guys...

 hear me out guys

it's them. it's them. ITS ARLO AND KORKIE ITS LITERALLY THEM.
obviously this isn't at all perfect, they would both have blue eyes and korkie's hair would be a little longer with a red/blonde tint to it but otherwise THIS IS DEFINITELY WHAT I THINK THEY LOOK LIKE thought you all might like to know that :)
thanks for reading! -a 🪐