chapter 19. kamino.

Late 21 BBY. 14 years old. 

I stand in between Anakin and Obi-Wan around a holotable on our cruiser, along with Rex and Cody, examining an intercepted message from General Grievous. 

"The clone planet of Kamino will be a dangerous target," a hooded female voice speaks. That must be Dooku's assassin, Asajj Ventress, who I have still not yet to get the pleasure of meeting. 

"Just make sure you hold up your half of the mission," Grievous commands her. "We must stop the production of new clones if we are to win this war." The hologram flickers off as the message ends. 

"Kamino," Anakin states, surprised.

"They're going to attack our home planet," Rex says. 

"The Separatists are taking quite the chance even considering this," Obi-Wan ponders while he strikes his beard. 

"With all due respect, General, if someone comes to our home, they better be carrying a big blaster," Rex states. 

"I concur with Captain Rex, sir," Cody agrees. "This is personal for us clones."

"We'll make sure Kamino is secure," Anakin tells them. "Tell your troopers in the 501st they're going home." 

"Yes, sir," Rex says as the two clones walk off. 

Anakin, Obi-Wan, and I hop off our cruiser and onto the landing platform on Kamino, with Cody and Rex close behind. The downpour of rain automatically soaks my ponytail and grey clothes. 

"Master, when you said it always rained here, you didn't say it would rain hard," I mutter. 

"You'll get used to it," he replies. We walk up to Master Ti and a Kaminoan, who also approach us. 

"Masters Kenobi and Skywalker, Padawan Arlo, welcome to Kamino," Master Ti greets. 

"Greetings, Generals, Commander," the tall alien says. 

"I wish our arrival wasn't under such circumstances. We believe Grievous is planning a Separatist attack on Kamino," Obi-Wan tells her. 

"But the Republic blockade is far too strong. They would not dare," the Kaminoan says. They lead us to the command center as the Separatists begin to fire at the blockade above. Anakin, however, leaves to go fight in the air. I stand in between Master Ti and Obi-Wan as we examine the hologram of the outside battle in front of us. 

"Shore up our defenses," Cody says. 

"The fleet is not as large as I expected. Begin the air strike," Master Ti commands. Obi-Wan strokes his beard. We watch the air strike begin and watch as debris starts to fall from the ships. "Grievous appears to be sacrificing his transports in favor of protecting his command ship."

"Something's not right," Obi-Wan realizes. I observe the hologram of battlefield before me. 

"I'm gonna press the attack, Master," Anakin says through Obi-Wan's comlink. 

"No, Anakin, wait," he replies. "It's too easy. Not even Grievous would attack so recklessly."

"Master, the battle's up here in space, not down there," Anakin states. I could hear the eye-roll in his voice. 

"Wait..." I start as I move closer to the hologram to examine the falling debris. "The debris!"

He nods. "The debris from the destroyed Separatist ships is the key," he says into his com. 

"What are you thinking?" Master Ti asks. 

"I think I'd like to go for a swim. Care to join, Arlo?" I follow him out of the command center and back out into the pouring rain and hop in a small water speeder. I sit behind him as he pilots the speeder into the dark water. "Be on the lookout for the debris."