chapter 16. the duchess.

"Exiting hyperspace now," I speak over the com of my Jedi Starfighter to my master, flying alongside me. My ship gently jolts out of the streaky blue tunnel of hyperspace, revealing the planet of Mandalore. My master and I enter the atmosphere and soon land on the in the domed capital city of Sundari. I hop out of my ship and walk beside Obi-Wan.

"The Duchess awaits you, General Kenobi," a guard, waiting for us on a transport speeder, says.

"Far be it from me to keep the Duchess waiting," he replies as we step onto the speeder. I hold on to the rail as it zooms off. I admire the intricate scenery of the capital city as we stop in front of the palace. Obi-Wan and I step out and enter the well lit, spacious throne room.

A man enters. "General Kenobi," he greets. Obi-Wan walks towards him, and I follow close behind.

"Thank you for meeting me, Prime Minister Almec. Allow me to introduce you to my young Padawan, Arlo Just," Obi-Wan says, placing a hand on my left shoulder proudly.

"It's a pleasure," the prime minister says as he holds out his hand to me.

I extend my right arm and shake his hand. "Pleasure to meet you as well, Prime Minister."

Almec shakes Obi-Wan's hand after mine. "I welcome you both as servants of the people, but I am troubled by the false rumors that brought you here." He leads us towards the empty throne. "Mandalore would never turn against the Republic. The Duchess Satine values peace more than her own life."

"Oh, I'm aware of the Duchess' views," Obi-Wan assures him. My eyebrows furrow.

"You are?" I question. He doesn't respond as we stop before the throne.

"Master Kenobi, Mandalore's violent past is behind us. All of our warriors were exiled to our moon, Concordia. They died out years ago," the Prime Minister informs us.

"Hm... are you certain?" Obi-Wan asks. "I recently encountered a man who wore Mandalorian armor, Jango Fett."

"Jango Fett was a common bounty hunter. How he acquired that armor is beyond me," Almec replies, unimpressed.

"Well, Master Kenobi," a female voice rings through the large room, "my shining Jedi Knight to the rescue once again." We turn to see the Duchess enter the room to the side of us. Her blonde hair is held back in an intricate headpiece, and she wears a blue, teal, and purple gown. She walks up gracefully to her throne and takes a seat.

My eyebrows furrow once again as I turn back to my master, who doesn't even spare a glance back.

"Again?" I whisper to him, confused. He nudges me to be quiet.

"After all these years, you're even more beautiful than ever," Obi-Wan says. My eyes widen at his words. What did he just say?

"Kind words from a man who accuses me of treachery," she retorts.

"I would never accuse you of personal wrongdoing, Duchess." Obi-Wan begins to approach her. I stay put while the Prime Minister follows close behind my master. "However, a Seperatist saboteur attacked one of our Republic cruisers, a Mandalorian saboteur."

Obi-Wan takes out a hologram of a Mandalorian's attack and puts it away as the recording ends. The Duchess looks shocked.

"You must be mistaken," the Prime Minister tells him. "No Mandalorian would engage in such violence. Not anymore. Where is this prisoner now?"

"He took his own life rather than submit to questioning," Obi-Wan explains. "I know these commandos fought in many wars, often against the Jedi."

"Every one of my people is as trustworthy as I am," the Duchess immediately rebukes.