chapter 1. padawan.

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

29 BBY. 5 years old.

I've always been told to not live in the what if's. But sometimes, I can't help it. This isn't exactly an ideal situation.

It's been a month since I ran away from my father. I don't know how I've made it this long. Maybe it's because I occasionally get these feelings that I should do something, and it's the right thing. Or maybe it's because I can move things with my mind. Either way, living in the Batuuian forests at the foot of the mountains is much easier than expected.

I sit with my legs wrapped around a tree branch and my back slightly leaning against the trunk, listening to only the sound of the wind howling until I hear footsteps. I get up to begin climbing the tree even further up the trunk, but pause when I hear a voice.

"Fear not, child. Come to see you, I have." I look down to see a small little green alien standing at the stump of the tree.

"Who are you?" I question.

"Jedi Master Yoda, I am."

"Jedi?" I question as I begin to climb down the tree.

"Yes, child. Come to take you to the temple, I have. Take your midi-chlorin count, I must."

"My... what?"

"Midi-chlorian count. Life forms that abide in our cells, they are. Exist, life would not, without them." He pulls out an object with a needle and a meter on it. "Your arm, you must hold out."

I shake my head no.

"Trust me, you can." He slightly smiles as me as he beckons me over. I gingerly make my way closer to him. "Sit."

I take a seat in front of him as he gently grabs my arm and sticks the object in it. I wince as he looks at the meter.

"16,000, your midi-chlorian count is. Higher than average. Come with me, you should. A Jedi, you will become, instead of living in these woods."

"A real Jedi?"

"Mhm! Come, my child." He begins to walk off as I hesitantly follow him and board his ship. "Coruscant, we are going to. To the temple."

When we arrive at Coruscant, I refuse to leave my seat on the ship. I bring my knees up to my chest and hug them.

"Come, child," Yoda says. I shake my head no. "Safe now, you are." My eyes begin to water a little. Out of fear.

A thickly-accented voice calls out. "Master Yoda, I—!"

A young man with auburn hair and blue eyes enters the ship, apparently looking for Yoda. He sees me and warmth fills his soft eyes. He looks at Yoda, then crouches down to me with a kind smile.

"Hello there, little one."

I hide my face in my knees.

"No need to hide, dear. I won't hurt you, I promise. Are you here to become a Jedi?"

I look up slightly and nod at the man.