chapter 13. brain invaders.

Ahsoka and another Padawan step out of a gunship on Geonosis and approach me, Obi-Wan, Anakin, and Master Unduli. They're closely followed by Master Mundi. Ahsoka stops next to me and smiles a hello.

"I'm afraid we have a complication," Master Mundi says.

"Don't we always?" Anakin asks sarcastically.

"I've just received a distress signal from our forces on Dantooine. Master Windu's defenses held, but at a great cost to his men. They need medical supplies immediately. We can obtain these supplies at the medical station near Ord Cestus."

"We're delivering Poggle to Coruscant, and Cestus is not exactly on the way," Anakin reminds him.

"The Republic must begin debriefing Poggle right away if we're to get useful intelligence from him," Master Unduli adds.

"Masters, I suggest we let our Padawans handle the supply mission," Anakin says as he walks behind us and puts his hands on mine and Ahsoka's shoulders.

"Whatever needs to be done, Master, I'm happy to help," Ahsoka replies.

"As am I," the other girl adds.

"I'm in, too," I chime in.

"I don't know, Arlo, you're—" Obi-Wan starts.

"Fine," I finish for him. "I'm fine. I took the medicine, replaced the bandage, and this isn't going to be hard. Trust me, Master."

He scans me for any signs of pain, then sighs. "Very well. Take a medical frigate. And after we've delivered Poggle to Coruscant, we'll rendezvous with you for the voyage to Dantooine." With that, he walks away with Master Unduli.

I turn to the other Padawan. "I don't believe we've met. I'm Arlo, Arlo Just."

"Barriss Offee," she says. She has olive green skin and diamond tattoos across her nose like freckles. She holds out her hand to me, and I shake it.

"Nice to meet you, then, Barriss."

"As well as you, Arlo."

"Glad to see you getting along already," Ahsoka says with a smile as we board the medical frigate. Some of the clones board the ship with us. We walk up to the bridge and greet the two clones piloting it, then Master Fisto shows up on the screen above us.

"Are you on your way?" he asks.

"We are ready to make our jump, Master Fisto," Barriss says.

"Good. I look forward to your arrival," he replies and hangs up as the frigate jumps into hyperspace.

I lay in the top bunk with Ahsoka below me, finding trouble in falling asleep. I sigh and sit up, and hear Ahsoka moving around too. I lean down headfirst over the edge of the bed.

"Oh! Be careful, Lo, your head!" she whispers.

"I'm fine. But I can't fall asleep." I say quietly back.

"Me neither. This bed is uncomfortable."

"Even more uncomfortable than the ones on the normal cruisers."

"I feel like I haven't gotten to see you in a while. How've you been?"

"Oh, you know, getting concussed by giant bugs, chasing bounty hunters, stuff like that. The usual."

Ahsoka laughs quietly. "About the same for me. But instead of getting concussed, Barriss and I just about got buried alive by rubble while blowing up the factory."

"Sounds like a blast. Wish I could've been there."

"Me too, but you had to rest."

"I suppose. The concussion wasn't bad, though, it's pretty much healed."