Chapter 8

The rest of the week had been nothing but uneventful, all I did was sleep and eat. Two things that would have sounded great to me on just any day. But not today.

It was Sunday,  meaning  that tomorrow would be the day I would go with Darling to finish up my registrations.

Sitting on my bed , now back from the suck bay to my room, thinking of how nice it would be to finally say I was in a university,  I suddenly remembered my clothes issue. I couldn't imagine myself wearing the same old and tired clothes I had brought with me from home. 

Especially the fact that they were clothes I had gotten from a popular bend-down select shop near my house, for a ridiculous price of 20 naira. The clothes that sold in the shop were uncelebrated fourth-hand clothes already worn and used by people of various colours, shapes, and sizes. You could only get the clean under_used clothes . If you were lucky. 

Standing up from my bed, happy that my legs had finally stopped paining me, I walked to the door and reached for the handle, ready to tell Aunty Toyin about the issue at hand.

Now staring at the hallway, I knew the route to take if I wanted to get to the sitting room. I made sure to pay attention to the times Aunty Toyin had described it since my last horrible encounter. I wouldn't dare miss my way again.  I had in fact become a replica of an agent on a secret mission.

I looked around every five seconds before pausing to speed walk, I couldn't take the risk. What if they had another crazy pet I didn't know about?

"Aunty Toyin, Good morning ".
I greeted in a chirpy voice , now in the sitting room, spotting her on a chair, drinking what looked like orange juice from a glass cup.

I walked closer to where she lay, noticing how beautiful she looked in her white crop top and blue shorts.

"My dear, how are you jare? Hope you are getting ready for school tomorrow sha?" Aunty Toyin asked with a smile as she dropped her cup on a nearby table.

"Aunty Toyin, I'm not fine jare. There's a problem. A very big one o!!" I complained in a baby_like voice, ending with a sad sigh as I sat on the nearest sofa to her.

"Ahh God forbid! You'll not have any problem at my house! What happened ?" Aunty Toyin yelled sharply with an intent concentration on my face , sitting up straight.

"Aunty Toyin, I'm sorry for saying that jare but it's just that I brought only 7 clothes with me and I don't know how I'd manage to wear them every day to school. I'd eventually end up repeat one clothe ten times." I replied, making sure to sound extremely sad.

"Ahhh is it because of that? In fact, I'll take you out shopping right now. Just go to your room and wear anything available." She replied with a smile as she stretched her legs.

"Thank you! Thank you so so so much ma!" I thanked, immediately kneeling in her front to show gratitude. I couldn't believe my luck! I was finally becoming untouchable to my village people!

"Ahh because of what?? So you want to be kneeling down? stand up jhor, Just go and dress up. It's still early so, we will have enough time to shop. I know a good place that opens on Sundays, Let me quickly tell Darling before dressing up." She replied enthusiastically , now getting up from her chair.

Watching her stand up, my eyes couldn't help but move to the stool she had her juice on. There was still juice in her glass cup and it was starting to look enticing to me as I eyed it with longing in my eyes. Was it sweet, bitter or spicy?

The more I stared, the more I wanted. More preferably, all I wanted was a taste of her juice. Was that too much to ask for? Looking at it alone, I had already taken the juice from the table and licked the glass cup clean.