Chapter 20

All my life, I always imagined my dad to be the first in my two parent to die but I never really gave a thought to his death happening anytime soon. But... are we really ever prepared for the death of a loved one... or anyone? Yet still, Funny how I was neither happy nor sad... Was that relief I felt? 

I glanced at my mum and sighed before letting a sad smile grace my face. 

" We all knew it was bound to happen sometime soon. So, there's no use being sad about it." I said, blurting out the first thing that could come to my head.

"Abi oo! Someone that was already useless Sef. Half of his body had already left earth, and the other parts only followed suit, Instead of you to celebrate his full body entry into the realm of the spirits. I don't understand you people sha." Darling interrupted, cutting me short before I could even make any other statement and laughed out in amusement. What was so funny to her? Was there really need for her to laugh??

The laugh made her sound even more annoying than she ever was to me. 

I looked at Darling, not even a  bit surprised by her interruption. Well, maybe.... just maybe ..there was a little truth in her words,  a tiny, almost non_existent bit of truth.

My mum remained quiet, watching darling and me with an expression that didn't let out what she was thinking. She looked numb.

Aunty Toyin turned her attention from my mum to look at Darling and me. Was that irritation I saw on her face?

Her expression was one I couldn't even begin to describe. It was obvious to anyone with eyes to see that she didn't like what I or darling had said.  

"Are you both even serious right now?! How can you even open your mouth to say such! How can you both talk like that?  Grace, is that man whom you so wonderfully do not care about, not your father? Ehn??  Is he not your father?!  Let's not even forget the fact you never told him or your mum goodbye before leaving with me! Wait sef...  Abi have you joined one witches confraternity that I don't know about?" Aunty Toyin yelled, with her hands continuously touching her head in annoyance.

Aunty Toyin raising her voice at me seemed to be what I needed to knock me out of my head. I looked down,  suddenly finding interest in my legs. All I could feel now was shame for even bothering to voice out my thoughts.

Darling looked as normal as ever as she sat down, rubbing Rodger's back. I couldn't tell if the Tiger was asleep but it looked like it.

"Food is ready!" A loud chirpy male voice declared.

Even though I knew the owner of the voice. I still couldn't help but want to raise my head up to confirm my suspicions.

Everyone including my mum turned their heads in the direction of the voice to see Demola walking towards the dining in an apron, holding two huge trays that were probably filled with food, with a huge happy smile on his face.

Talk about bad timing ...

"Can you just imagine!! Can you see this fool!!  Will you shut up there?! So it's now you know you want to bring our food out, you just want hunger to kill us, Abi?  Mad man!! Let me tell you something ehn, your plan to kill me before my time will not work! It will never work!!" Aunty Toyin yelled, quite dramatically. She was obviously pouring all her pent-up anger and frustration on him. I really felt sorry for him. This was a perfect definition of doing the right thing at the wrong time.

I looked at my mum, expecting to see a reaction on her face,  a reaction of probably surprise? To aunty Toyin insulting Demola.

Funny how my mum didn't look one bit surprised or even shocked. She didn't even flinch at the scene. It was almost like she was used to it. 

"Uncle Demola,  you'll soon tell me why you are still standing there. Abi,  did I say you should stand and look stupid? " Aunty Toyin yelled, in annoyance as Demola stood with his head bowed.

Since I couldn't get a reaction out of my mum, I turned my attention back to Demola. I looked at him, still trying to figure out why he was even a slave to his wife in a marriage he agreed to in the first place. Or, did the priest not say to him, "Do you take her to be your lawfully wedded wife ?"  Plus the fact he managed to still balance the two big trays in his hands, even with his head bowed.

What exactly was wrong with this man?? And how did he and aunty Toyin end up together??!

Demola looked up, a smile on his face. A smile that looked almost sad.

" I'm sorry, I'm very sorry. I can promise you that it will not happen again. It won't happen again, today is the last time it'll happen. Please don't be angry." He begged, in a whisper-like voice as he stared at aunty Toyin.

"Before nko?  is that not what you'll say? You'll never say it'll happen again. Just drop the tray and serve the food before I change my mind. Oh, also take Roger away to feed him. If you like ehn, don't come back when you are done! " Aunty Toyin replied in a loud voice that sounded like she was scolding a child for stealing candy.

Demola nodded his head and walked carefully to the dining table before dropping one of the trays on the dining table and repeating the same process with the other tray in his hand.

He then brought out each plate from the tray before opening a food flask (that was also in the tray) to serve a meal of jollof rice with chicken.

As he served the first plate and passed it to my side first, I could already see myself eating the food. I just didn't want to start eating yet until everyone had their serve.

I looked around, pretending like I was disinterested in the food he had served me. I went as far as even admiring the chandelier above us, even though all I could see myself doing was eating and licking my plate clean.

"Come and join us na." Aunty Toyin said, referring to my mum who was still standing.

My mum replied with a nod and walked to sit beside aunty Toyin.

Seeing my mum act so hopeless and mute was still surprising to me because, my mum was anything but calm, quiet, or reserved. I looked closely at her again, trying to study her every detail....something was amiss. Something I just couldn't lay a finger on, something I felt strong in my guts.

"Mum I want to know how he died. Did he just not wake up one morning or what? And when did he die? When are we going for the burial? "

"Grace, please stop. Let her eat in peace, for now, you can ask her all the questions you want later. My sweet sister, did you come with your clothes? " Aunty Toyin said, in a tone that showed concern for my mum.

My mum nodded her head, a sign that she came with them.

" Okay, no problem dear. You can stay here for as long as you want.  You'll stay in Grace's room because you need company right now. Demola once you are done serving, go straight to the gate and ask Mumu where her clothes are.  And be fast about it!" Aunty Toyin said, before putting her spoon in the rice to have a taste of her food. A sign that I could finally start eating the long-awaited food.

HI GUYS!! I'M SO SOO SORRY ABOUT THE LATE UPDATE. A LOT HAS BEEN GOING ON ..... IT GOT SO BAD THAT I DIDN'T EVEN WANT TO WRITE.

ANYWAY, I'm BACK NOW, AND Y'ALL HAVE @ToochiUduma TO  THANK FOR THIS UPDATE .❤️