Chapter 16

Heaving out a tired sigh, Nate laid back at his chair while massaging his throbbing forehead. He was already pre-occupied regarding the mission the crown prince dumped unto him as the so-called right hand man, as to which he never agreed. And now, Asher has been forced by his father to return to his home that would hinder his investigation regarding Asher's background.

Just how did Nate got lump up into all this mess? His sole purpose was just to survive this time, and yet how did all this problems came to connect with the manipulation regarding his father from his second life? Till this day, he still kept wondering.

"Master, as you have said, the second prince secretly met with the Carcas Empire's third prince. I haven't been able to grasp what the deal they made but I presume that it went well. Considering the large amount of money Prince Theodore deposited, it must be a huge deal"

"Where was the place you lost trail of them again?"

"A remote village in the mountains, I believe the name was ... Teri village ...

... What's more weird is that I never knew a village was present there not until a year ago when on mission regarding Duke Cromwell's involvement within the black market"

'A village with a name yet never heard of nor have been registered to any adventurer's map'

He heaved out another sigh as he rearranged the pile of paperwork that built up on his work desk. Knowing that the crown prince's graduation at the academy is coming, possible threats towards him have risen. Since he's already come of age, meaning, the coronation will also be near.

With all the new information and workload piling up, Nate's headache worsened to the point he didn't notice he was having a nosebleed if not for Jim's notice.

"Master, your-"

"Ah, it's fine, I just need to lie down"

He insisted, brushing off the blood from his face. He continued on for about a minute and the nosebleed started again.

Suddenly standing up from his seat to reach out for the tissue, Nate's vision turned blur and felt a wave of tiredness ... and passed out.

'Ah, why now of all time?'

.

...

...

...

.

Sitting a top of a tall tree, Asher observes as Catherine continued on her stealth training under the assistance of Asher himself. With the appointment of the new marquis of the Stephenville family, countless house who wished for their doom tried to assassinate Jonathan and his wife. That didn't exempt the precious children of his, but since the eldest was the youngest amongst the exemplary knights, assassins avoid to come in contact with him. As for the second eldest, none of the assassins sent were ever heard of again so they mostly just gave up on killing him.

That would make the youngest Catherine to be the easy target, not to mention, she's a noble little 12-year old girl. So in the eyes of the enemies, she's the best hostage to go for, but unbeknownst to them, she's just as good as her siblings who would not show mercy to those who harms her loved ones.

Gaining his sense of reality, Asher quickly dodged a brazillian air kick aimed at him by a little girl.

(A: brazillian kick? Yes, reference to Gun's from lookism, highly recommended [if u haven't read it yet], anyways back to story)

"Nice job for trying but you'll have to be more swift next time you try that"

Stepping at nothing but air, he gave out a soft chuckle and praised Catherine.

"Ashy, you seem troubled by something, is everything alright?"

"Why won't I? Of course I'm fine"

Catherine, who noticed the obvious lie, didn't pry too much, instead, she offered to take a day rest of training and spend time with her brother Nate. It's obvious that they are each other's comfort.

"Ashy, you should go to brother right now. It seems your way too anxious about something, so since brother Nate is a good adviser you should go to him"

Letting out another chuckle, he ruffled her already messy hair to which Cathy protest, pushing him to the direction where Nate's own office was located.

"Alright I'll go, you better still train after I'm gone"

Nodding, she watch him as he casually descends from the air as if there're invisible stairs guiding him down.

'Psh, show-off'

"My lady! What're you doing dangling from that tree?! Please come down at once! This is not how a lady should act!"

Hearing the head maid's voice from below, she mentally rolled eyes as she casually jump from the tall tree earning a dramatic gasp from the maid.

"A lady should never do something like that, your the only young lady of the prestigious Marquis, you should be poised, dignified, and ..."

'Full of elegance, yatta yatta ... ugh'

Mentally rolling her eyes again, she just spaced out along the 'lecture'

.

...

...

...

.

Arriving at the doorstep of Nate, he attempted to open the door but was beaten to it. The first sight he saw was the butler carrying an unconscious Nate pale and his nose covered in blood. Seeing the state Nate is in, he unknowingly released a huge mana nearly breaking the whole office.

'Was there an attack I'm not aware of in this house? That's impossible, no human has ever escaped through my barrier, not even once'

"What happened?"

He called out in his normal tone yet held anger and worry. Slightly shivering at the contact of a sudden foreign mana, Jim hesitated to answer because of the pressure but managed to do so in the end.

"Uh, I- have no idea sire, master ... suddenly collapse"

Picking Nate up from the butler's arms, he instructed him to get the family doctor as he carried Nate into his room. He complied and hurriedly went off to see the doctor.

.

...

...

...

.

Slowly laying Nate on his bed, Asher carefully wiped off the blood on Nate's face as he caressed his rosy red cheek because of the arising fever. This was not the only time that he felt this helpless.

'Right, there was also from that time ... three years ago'

Three years ago, the very first time he has betrayed his father's trust and also failed to keep his promise to his older brother. Till now, he had regretted that he never explained what had truly happened that time. Nonetheless, what has happened cannot be undone, the only way to fix this is to go back home.

'Go back home? I'll think about that later'

The only problem is that Asher, is a stubborn one who refuse to yield first no matter how he has regretted something. A very trait he got growing up from his father and siblings influence.

_______---________---_______

A/n:

Next chapter is just a flashback, yay for my poor brain. Anyways, two updates! Achievement ... [not]

.
.
.