Chapter 20

Nate's ear perked up hearing a familiar footstep and a scent from behind the couch they were sitting on. He's currently on an important meeting but Darvin's report is also important, the time they thought he was calculating the information he got from the Cromwell couple was also the time he was receiving the report.

'An assassination huh? Makes sense how they would do it at this time around. But to think that they are only aiming for the duchess is quite-'

Nate stopped on his thought, realizing something. 'It can't be' he once again thought. Fifteen minutes had passed and opened his eyes looking straight into the duke's eyes.

"Do you have all the gathered information from your spies?"

"Huh? Uh yes! It's in my office I'll let a servant get it" [Duke]

"No, I suggest you go get it yourself, it's convenient that way" [Nate]

"I- ... sure"

...

...

Coming back to the present, the duchess horrified expression has now calmed down, but was still covered in cold sweat. Asher was casually sipping his tea like everything was completely normal. As to all the servant who're incharged of the beverages, they were all apprehended.

Bursting the door open, Darvin openly walked inside carrying a body like a ball of sack as the duchess let out a tiny shriek after the body fell in front of her.

'What was the point in sending this guy if he left behind the one he was suppose to protect?'

Nate couldn't help but think so, he ordered Darvin to secretely follow the duke in his office and protect him, and apprehend anyone attempting to harm the duke.

'Well, I guess it all worked out in the end'

The man in question woke up surprise at the situation he was in. To think that he was caught off guard by the duke was truly unprofessional of him.

'But who are this people? Are they the children? The information was incorrect again'

He silently thought to himself observing his surroundings, looking for a possible escape. It was obvious he was underestimating the two individual he was currently facing.

'This fu-'

Asher, noticing this, he was about to lash out to him, but Nate was quick to notice and warned him not to do anything....

...yet.

"So? Who might you be, considering that your servant currently pushing me down and refusing to let me take a look around means your someone powerful. You the duke's children? Hm, but I can't see any resemblance at all ... Ah! Perhaps the illegitimate children?"

He kept on rambling, coming to all sorts of ridiculous concepts. Nate who was losing patience lift his leg up placing it on top of the other, and with the wave of his hand, the man who was rambling nonsense just awhile ago was stuck to the ground as an electric current were visible surrounding his entire body.

'Wha-what the hell ... is this?'

Trying to lift his body from the ground, it only brought him pain. He felt his body turning numb every time he tried resisting.

"Tell me the name of your client"

"Kugghhh! No ... idea"

The pressure was too much to handle, feeling as if his organs were being crushed into pieces.

'W-what the hell is he?! No one told me there would be a powerful mage around the Duke!'

Coughing out blood, did the pressure on him had been lifted. And once again, questioned of the mastermind behind the assassination attempt on the Duchess.