Chapter 18

"Jim, has Darvin returned yet?"

"Yes master, and ... he also gave me this"

Reaching something out from his pocket, Jim handed out a piece of paper with a blank note. But after it had reacted from the pour of mana from Nate, it revealed what was written on it.

"Prime minister? What does he have to do with the exchange regarding Prince Theodore and the third prince of Carcas empire?"

"It seems that he was the one who introduced the both of them ... and also the owner of the place they met up with"

Two days had already passed after Nate was forced to take a day off from being the right-hand man slash, assistant, of Crown Prince William. Asher kept his eyes on him giving him no room to ever step close to his mini office or his paperworks. Now, he has to deal with the pressing matters regarding the royal family.

'Speaking of, I had completely forgotten the birthday celebration of the House Cromwell'

House of Cromwell came directly from the royal lineage, the duchess was a precious princess from the Carcas empire, beloved by the emperor. And the duke was the current king's little brother. Suppose, House Stephenville are obliged to attend to save face, just because your family has a long history and the what-not, doesn't mean you won't be attending.

"Jim, is my suit ready for the ball?"

"Yes master, would you like me to prepare it now?"

"Yes. How much time do we have until it starts?"

"Roughly 2 hours master"

"Begin the preparations"

...

...

...

Lurking from behind the shadows, Darvin leaped from a nearby tree into the railings of a 3 story building. He quietly stood there as he balanced himself trying to make out the muffled words from the other side of the wall.

"... preposterous! ... willing to kill ..."

"... kill ... for the throne"

"..."

Darvin moved closer to the window, wanting to hear and know more of what they were talking about. He tried to peep a closer look at the persons involved. But all he could witness was the back of a man receiving a bottle of green liquid, emitting a faint dark mana. He moved closer and closer to see the face of the man who gave the bottle. But alas, he was wearing a mask covering his whole face except for his eyes. Disappointed, he was about to call it a stop but was discovered by someone.

"Hey! Who goes there?!"

The shout from a distance alerted the ones inside the room, as Darvin quickly dashed away from the window. The man who received the bottle panicked as he quickly left the building, forgetting the mask man.

"I'll be able to get what's rightfully mine ... soon .... very soon ..."

He mumbled under his breath grinning under his mask, for he can't contain the excitement.

...

...

...

"Master, we've already prepared ... the carriage"

"I'll be right there"

Looking at himself at the mirror once again, he exhaled the breath he didn't knew he was keeping in. The maids dolled him up for almost those two hours, he planned to take an hour rest before actually getting himself ready. (By rest, he meant finishing up some paperwork.)

Catherine barged in the room, with her face painted with excitement. She was wearing a puffy light blue dress gifted by the grand elder, the former marquise.

"Brother, why aren't you out yet?! Come on, Ashy's waiting"

"Alright, alright, just don't drag me ... wait, Asher's comi-"

Before he could finish his sentence, Catherine dragged him out until the staircase. Finally letting go of Nate's arm, Cathy turned around with a cheeky grin as she steps aside confusing him.

"What are you doing? I thought we're in a hurry"

Cathy just slightly giggled, shifting her eyes behind Nate waving at someone. Nate followed her gaze as he slowly turned around.

Mesmerized at the person, his gaze was glued only to him, as if it was just the two of them. He felt like there were sparkles surrounding him, and from every step made his heart thump.

"Hi"

Asher called out to the dazed Nate. He himself wasn't even aware he was staring intensely. Noticing this, he furiously blushed but kept his cool.

"You ... look very different"

"Hm? How so?"

Asher teased, making Nate tensed up even more. Ignoring his obvious teasing, Nate faked cough as he made an excuse about being late and how Alexis was already getting worried how they weren't there with him yet.

"Oh! No need for that, Crown Prince Will-I-am, is your older brother's escort for the night"

Asher mockingly said Williams name, clearly showing how he doesn't like him.

"Wait, how'd Alexis and William ... "

"Brother, let's go! Hurry before we miss the cake!"

Cathy intervened at Nate's confusion, he brushed the thought off this time but he'll surely interrogate Alexis once they get alone time.

_______---_______---_______

A/n:
I apologize for being inactive for a whole month lol. Semester's about to end so school work have been piling up and considering I'm a procrastinator, my desk is full of papers.

(You've done this to urself, now suffer the consequences)

Yes I'm aware, also aware that this is a short chapter. And rushed.

Anyways, enough rant, imma try and update as much as I could.