Chapter 19

The carriage ride was nothing spectacular, just a 40-minute ride of endlessly flirting between Asher and Nate. And of course, the sleeping Cathy that for some reasons, actually got a nice nap. Maybe that was because she woke up too early excited for the birthday ball of a friend from the Cromwell Family, or just because she doesn't want to witness a horrifying scene between her brother and mentor, either way, it was a nice nap.

Arriving by the doorstep, Nate gave the invitation card to the announcer as they received a mask, since the theme for this was a masquerade ball. They happily took it but was surprise since Asher lagged behind them a little, not noticing how he handed an invitation card of his own and whispered something at the announcer's ear.

"House of Stephenville! The second eldest and the youngest! Now entering!"

Cathy reflexively rest her arm on Nate's as they both enter, completely mesmerizing and catching the audience's attention. They walked in elegantly as the people make out the faces of the famous, wealthy Stephenville children.

"Hey, don't you think that boy (referring to Nate) has quite the looks without his mask?"

"I bet his a looker without them!"

"The girl looks so cute!"

"She kinda resembles the marquees a lot doesn't she?"

Whispers of praise filled the area as both of them headed to the duke and duchess, and also the birthday celebrant, which was a friend of Catherine.

"Greetings, duke and duchess Cromwell, and a joyous birthday lady Penelope"

"Greetings, children of Ellaina"

Nate greeted as he leaned closer for a kiss on the duchess and the celebrant's hand. Both accepted as they give him a nod.

"Happy birthday, Ms. Penelope"

"Cathy, no need for formalities, it feels like your really distant somehow"

She slightly chuckled and so does she, excusing themselves out for a friendly chat leaving Nate with the duke and duchess. Not until after Nate gave his present to Penelope, which was a very rare jewel found on the deepest part of the ocean. She gave him her sincerest thanks and excused themselves entirely.

"So, I'm wondering why the children attended instead of the couple"

"I offer my sincerest apology duke and duchess, given that your a close friend of mother, she told me that you best understand that three days from now is my grandmother's death anniversary"

"Oh! Forgive me, I wasn't aware"

The chat with the duke and duchess went on for about a minute before their attention was shifted to the main entrance.

"Announcing! Of Royal Azryat Demon Blood From Farkas Kingdom! Royal Prince El Lynx!"

Nate wide-eyed the person closely approaching his way, completely unwavering of the gasps and whispers drawn towards him (Asher). Nate had the vague idea of what Asher is, but he completely missed the part of him being of royal demon blood. It took Nate 2 years to figure out what his identity was, but only took him 2 days to think about it after being questioned by Nate himself.

'Why haven't I asked him instead of secretly doing a background check on him? Have I turned stupid?'

Nate thought as he continously gaze at the person- no, at the demon approaching him. Asher stopped in front of Nate, nervous at what he would think of him. But before he could get a reaction from him, the duke greeted him first.

"Greetings, Royal Prince El Lynx, it truly was a surprise to see that someone from the Farkas Kingdom responded to our invitation"

The duke and duchess gracefully bowed gaining their composure back. Asher returned the greeting and was about to turn his full attention to Nate but the duke interrupted instead. Asher, though ticked and annoyed at the fact that they're keeping him from having an alone time with Nate, he managed to calm himself down and proceeded to hear what they want from him. Thanks to Nate who gave him a glare.